Need help ASAP with XP install and HD missing space.

Ezekiel

Limp Gawd
Ok here is how it goes...

I installed win 2003 server and didnt like it, so then i did a quick NTFS format for that partision. Then i wne tto install XP and it messed up some kind of file error. I then deleted the partision again and installed XP eveyrhting went fine this time except, it says that i only have a 130gig HD when it is really 160 gig, so i went back today to try and find the missing space and i cant everytime i try to install XP it says i have a 130gig hd. SO then i went to bootdisk.com and mad ea 98se and ME bootdisk to try to old way of fomating the drive.. but everytime i try to format C: or format c: /s it says "format not supported on drive c: " but the format file is on the c drive and on the floppy disk. SO now i have no clue on what to do and would like so advise and help.. I do have a bootable XP disk.

Thanks Ez

You're running into the largest available size limit that a 32-bit file system recognizes (~137GB). If you want to get to the full 160GB capacity on a single partition, you need to have a third-party HDD controller with the HD on that card (thus needing third-party drivers) or you need to have a slipstreamed copy of SP1 for your install CD which enables 48-bit LBA support. If you don't care so much about one single partition, go ahead and just make a 30GB partition and a 130GB partition (or whatever sizes you want that don't exceed 130GB).

Further info can be found here straight from MS itself.

I am not positive if a CD that is marked as Windows XP w/ Service Pack 1 overcomes this limitation.

Cheers.

Back