Need help asap! OS issue!

wasteomind

Gawd
OK here is the short version. I built my brother a gaming pc not too long ago. He opted to go with Win 8.1 and now he is having an issue with some kind of malware/virus. It is a v9 virus/malware (best way to describe it). It basically is redirecting his internet browsers to this v9.com website. That is the only notable symptom atm.

So aside from some other messy installations issues, he decided to try reformatting completely and starting over via the original win8 disc. Only the issue persisted the moment windows loaded for the first time. Open a browser and bam, homepage is set to this v9.com.

We've tried erasing the partitions and making new ones, including the reserved system hidden partition. No luck then I booted up parted magic and ran into a new issue. It seems windows 8.1 has locked out the ability to secure erase the drive. Something to do with edrive features? The drive is a 240g Crucial M500.

My best guess is this virus/malware is embedded somewhere in this drives file system and is not getting erased via any other means. How can I reset this drive back to default in hopes to get rid of this? Right now I'm running the full blown windows 8.1 reset option to wipe the drive thinking maybe it can/will command this edrive crap to wipe the entire drive end to end, but my expectations for success are low.

That's kind of weird. Are you sure you're using clean media? Maybe the malware is spreading from a usb drive or network share.

yeah its clean, installing from a DVD,

Though I think i found the problem and it isn't as sinister as I thought. It appears it might be linked to the user account used for Microsoft. After the "reset" i just ran, this time instead of logging into an existing online account to get into windows, I created a local user account.

Loaded up and normal Microsoft home page this time. I'm going to assume this was all false alarm and the account is saving favorites/homepage history from the last use. Either way even opening that site makes me cautious.

Back