Need help, about to pull the trigger!!

Ogre67

Limp Gawd
Buidling new comp...

3800 X2
7800 GT
Asus A8n Sli
2 Gigs of ram

Need case and power supply. No idea what to buy really whats overkill etc.

Any decent 450 - 550 Wat PSU will be good... Read the forums. Search google as i think there have been a few PSU reviews on some major Tech sites (Anandtech for example).
STAY CLEAR OF Q-TEC!!! Anything below £40 - £50 is really pushing it - no pointin spending £400+ on a decent setup only to power it by some £25-30 PSU...
Spend the money now and it'll save you days/weeks of headaches in the future... specially when you build a new PC and you get a fault...

As for the case - not sure, Coolermaster cases are nice, although it depends on what you really want. I'd go for atleas a case with 1 x 120mm outtake (or 2 x 80mm out takes - depends on if you want it to be quiet and perform well).

If you can, go either Antec, Coolermaster or Thermaltake - I've got an Akasa Eclipse 62 - awsome case, but it IS big, but i wanted it because of the 120mm fan mounts front and back (Helps with keeping it quiet :D) - plus it's got wheels... Have a look around and see which ones you like the look of.

neo out

Like English says, there's no reason to buy a crappy supply. The PSU forum here has a good sticky note about how to pick a decent supply.

For a case, isn't it really a matter of personal preference? Lots of folks think $200 for a case is overkill, but I really love the LianLi PC-V series. If you want to buy a cheaper case that you think looks nice, go do it.

mikeblas said:
Like English says, there's no reason to buy a crappy supply. The PSU forum here has a good sticky note about how to pick a decent supply.

For a case, isn't it really a matter of personal preference? Lots of folks think $200 for a case is overkill, but I really love the LianLi PC-V series. If you want to buy a cheaper case that you think looks nice, go do it.
Oh year, i forgot LianLi... some people swear by them, although they usually are more expensive than the "Average" case (if you can call cases these days average).

neo out

Ogre67 said:
Buidling new comp...

3800 X2
7800 GT
Asus A8n Sli
2 Gigs of ram

Need case and power supply. No idea what to buy really whats overkill etc.
The only combos that I can recommend are the Antecs.
Either the SmartPower II 500W or the TruePower II 430W or 480W would be fine.
The SmartPower II 450W might be a little lite.

Ok, dont I need to be sure it has a special connector for PCI-Express? And ideally 2x of those since I do eventually plan to SLI.

Thanks

Back