need help 6950

newrig

Weaksauce
I just got my 6950 toxic and theres a black line at the top of the screen. anyone know how i can get rid of it?

thanks

If it's at the very top of your screen, can you adjust the vertical height of your monitor in your on screen display?

the line has little part of the desktop or game above it. so its not the vertical needing to be moved even tho its locked for some reason and i cant move it. also i cant move my mouse above it but i can drag the top of icons or go full screen in a picture and clearly see theres part of the pic or w/e.

Last edited:
Also if i restart i can see it there right as bios screen is up if that means anything

Have you tried using a different monitor, or connecting your monitor to a different output of the card?

Tried my old gpu and line is there tried both gpus on another screen and no line.

just noticed that theres a line on the left side of the screen and my mouse goes of the screen on the right so it is out of place right? i try and move the screen vertical/horizonal but the options are locked. how do i unlock those options?

So wait - no matter what graphics card you use, the line is always there on your normal monitor - yet when you use a different monitor, the line is never there? Logical deduction suggests it's the monitor at fault - if you're using VGA it just hasn't been calibrated properly - expand the vertical size. If it's DVI, then the monitor's probably faulty - either that or the cable.

and you've already deciphered it's the PSU? There is an easy, simple solution to all problems, but it's not always right!

No power at all tried different wires and different outlets. It worked just fine yesterday.

Yes but you haven't tried another PSU. I admit the PSU is the more likely chance, but I have had a 'no power' scenario be a different fault on several occasions before now. Does anything happen at all when the power button is pressed? (even if only very briefly) - if it doesn't, the PSU is more likely to be at fault, but the motherboard is not free from blame - ideally, you'd have another PSU to test (even if it meant removing some components so you didn't overload it - you can remove the graphics card entirely and see if the PC at least powers up at all on a different PSU, even though it won't boot)

It doesnt do anything at all with the gpu out. Will try another psu or if I can get my hands on a psu tester.

Nah the reason I suggested removing the GPU is so you could still test the system even if you only had a very low-rated PSU as a spare.

Just so I can make note, what PSU did you have that failed? I realise all hardware goes wrong, but often, trends do start to emerge.

So I tried another psu in my computer and nothing. Tried my psu in another computer and nothing. So what does that mean. My mobo is broken?

When you say nothing - do you mean absolutely nothing? Does the standby rail power up? (e.g. do the USB ports become powered with the system still switched off)

Nothing at all. And when I plugged it in my bros nothing either. But I put the psu in an old p4 and it got some power. So idk

Could be a dead rail on the PSU perhaps, might have gone bad and taken your PC's motherboard with it. Is there any intercompatibility with your brother's system and yours? If he's willing you could perhaps try using your graphics card, hard disks and so on in his board with his PSU (assuming it's powerful enough) to check everything else is AOK.

It's the exact same comp but core 2. Tomorrow I'll bring the psu to a shop to have it tested. But for now I gotta go to work.

How is your monitor connected? What were the results of your PSU test? (reply after this is done)

Back