• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Headphone opinions

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
1,228
After doing some research I have narrowed down my search for my next set of headphones to the list below. I will be using these headphones mostly at work and at home connected to a computer. They will occasionally be used with a yet to be purchased mp3 player (ipod touch, Zune HD, or ZuneHD2). I really could use some help narrowing down my choices. Also if any of these need an amp to really shine if you could please list some low budget options. Thanks!

1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 38 ohms, 99db (~130)
2. Ultrasone PRO 750 40ohm, 94 db
****only if used, new is not an option****
3. Ultrasone HFI-780 35 ohm, 96 db (~220)
4. Sennheiser HD25-1 70 ohm, 120 db (~200)
5. Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A 42 ohm, 103 db (~220)
6. Beyerdynamic DT 440's 32ohm, 95db (~110)

I have posted this at Head-Fi as well as here.

**edit** is this a decent cheap headphone amp or is it junk?
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know a whole lot about the majority of those headphones (the HD25's are the only one's I've heard, and they very solid, nothing profound but solid. I couldn't tell you how they sound in comparison to the rest on there).

I do know that the E5 is a very formidable portable amp. When it comes to headphone amps, it's really better to go for a desktop/non-portable model. This is because you'll generally get more bang for your buck. That said, the E5, especially when considering its price, is very well rounded. It's not miracle worker, but it's a noticeable difference.

What are your listening preferences (genre of music, gaming and what not)?
 
Also how much isolation do you need (or don't) since you're using them at work? I dunno, seems weird to me they'd let you wear earphones at work...
 
Also how much isolation do you need (or don't) since you're using them at work? I dunno, seems weird to me they'd let you wear earphones at work...

I do in-house IT tech support and my phone has a light that flashes when I get a phone call in addition to the ringer. It helps immensly if I have on my headphones and cant hear the ringer. We also use an Instant Message program that most people use to get my attention.

With that said it looks like I am probably going to be picking up a set of the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A. They look to be the easiest to drive of the bunch and dont look too bad. My fiancee seems to like their looks as well and that always is a factor :)

I dont really need much isolation on them. If people around me can hear my music and I can hear some ambient noise that isnt a problem for me, I will just turn up the volume ;)
 
In my opinion, I would choose between Sennheiser HD25-1 and Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A. Both are famous for its sound quality and service. Just FYI...
 
Back
Top