Need headphone/amp selection help

slayer9019

[H]ard|Gawd
Eyeing up a few headphones to replace home theater.

Currently looking at :

Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Premium 32 OHM Headphones
Sennheiser HD595 Dynamic High Grade Performance Premiere Headphones

Im not sure if i want/need an amp for these.

Im big into bluray's, technical metal and some bass-heavy music.

Any suggestions??

sub $200 range

i moved this from another section

I've had the DT 770 80 ohm pair before, and still have a pair of HD 595's.

Of the two, for movies and very technical stuff the HD 595's are super responsive and have a really nice wide soundstage, but they're a little light on bass.

If you want bass, the DT-770's are super bass heavy, with a slightly recessed midrange, but they won't be as crystal clear for movies.

If you can push your budget even a little, I love my DT-990's. They have a lot more bass than the DT-880's or the HD-595's but aren't biased so heavily toward it like the 770's, and they still manage to have that open soundstage with clear highs and a more present midrange.

I went from using the 770's for music and gaming and the 595's for movies to just using my 990's for everything.

Beyer 880s are what you want. Get an amp for them eventually but yeah, they do everything well.

My dt770/80ohm and my friend's dt770/600?ohm have been awesome. 3+ years and I'm still in love. Don't worry about them being as bassy as others claim. They emphasize the low end but will mellow over time and provide hours of great listening.

That being said, I might be $180 lighter in the bank after seeing the 990s on sale...

with the 250ohm will I need a amp or will the PC do just fine. Im about to pick em up

with the 250ohm will I need a amp or will the PC do just fine. Im about to pick em up

Onboard sound or add-in card? Onboard you'd probably want/need an amp, but if you have a headphone friendly sound card like the one of the Xonars or the X-fi Forte, something with a built in amp, you'd be okay without.

Nice choices :D

You are gonna love em man.

Have fun listening and start hunting for some lossless audio!

yea they get here tommorow! Can't wait!!!

It's a bit hard to find good lossless music. At least I got all my classic piano all downloaded. :D

Back