Need guidance on first tablet.

BioInclined

Limp Gawd
OK, I research TONS before I ask questions I assume have been asked too much and there is a designated thread for but...I can't keep it straight.
I would like a tablet, not sure why, but why not? If I don't get a tablet, I'd be getting a GPU for my PC and right now with mining and all the "new" models coming out being revamps of old that too is just annoying to decide on.

For a tablet, things I know I would like:
32+GB storage
Would enjoy video out, not needed though.
Ethernet port or USB to ethernet possibility.
USB port would be nice.
The better the resolution the better.

I don't know if I should just go into a laptop and get a Droid tab just for fun and spare time.

I am torn between Android and Win right now. I don't mind weight, battery life is nice but you gain performance and I could plug in just about anywhere I am. I don't know what I'd do with it really. I would play some games, put Steam on it, watch movies from it, other general things. I don't NEED it for work but could utilize it, this is where Windows steps in. We use Office, Citrix and possibly a new LIMS(Laboratory Information Management System) soon which if I can connect to the network then I can utilize.

Things I keep seeing that interest me are the Venue 8, Nexus 7 and Note 10.1, which all have their ups and downs.
Assume I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck sub $300

Your time and input is appreciated.

EDIT: Another thing, which is ridiculous, I like minimal framing for the screen. I don't know why, but the top and bottom of the Nexus bothers me. I can easily get over it though. Seems like I'm answering my own questions and should really get a Surface Pro...

I personally have a Nexus 7 which is nice but lacks some of the features I really want (usb host most of all ). the high res screen is really nice though it doesn't matter since the scaling is what really matters to best use that extra resolution. To scale it up or down you must root and edit the build.prop file - or use a custom rom that makes swiitching between resolutions and layouts easy with a menu.

I am getting in a MSI Primo 81 tablet to test and I am eager to get to it, as it has some sweet features over the Nexus 7 2013 for sure. I see that I will have a lower resolution screen but it likely wouldn't be any different than a stock Nexus 7. I am eager to see how it fairs for me, I want to make a custom wooden dock for use as a bedside clock / media player or on my desk

Yea, after searching harder I came across the Transformer Book T100.
It seems as though I'm going to use my job in justifying the tablet.
So ideally now I'm set on a Win based tab.
Larger storage the better(duh)
Keyboard will be helpful
Battery life, we all strive for this it seems.
Screen res, I'd like something high but I doubt I'd really be hurt by a lower 720 one.

My biggest concern is being able to connect via Ethernet port. If I can't do that I probably won't be able to justify it one yet. Work doesn't have wi-fi and when I'm home I'm on my PC and if not I use the wi-fi.
So my contenders right now are Transformer Book T100, Dell Venue(unsure which model), Surface Pro( 1 or 2?)

If I look and wait long enough I might just end up getting a laptop. Although I think I would prefer the portability of the tablet.

You can get a Surface Pro for $400 refurbished, I think that's a good deal.

I don't know of a tablet with internet, but generally you should be easily able to use a usb adapter. Or you can buy a wifi card for your work computer and set up a network from that.

For multimedia like videos/games, I'd go with an Android tablet. Internet browsing and work related stuff windows is definitely better.

I really liked the transformer android series, but the I/O issues on my TF700T were annoying. Putting Linux on it was awesome though. I wouldn't recommend buying it though, the hardware is quite old. If there is a newer version of the transformer series for android then that would be great.

There's also plenty of remote apps like splashtop or VNC, but trying to do work over that imo can get really frustrating.

The only tablets with a built in ethernet port I believe are the larger "convertible" type devices which double as laptops/notebooks.

Regarding storage factor in actual free space and not storage size. Also keep in mind some devices have expendable storage options, not sure if this is acceptable for you.

Regarding the OS, which ecosystem is basically something you'll have to decide. For example the person above says he prefers Android for games but I personally would much rather play PC style games (more traditional style games) on something like the Surface Pro. Some people might want full native flash support you get from windows as well. While others might have Android only apps (as well as the apps having a tendency to be better designed fro the form factor) as greater importance. Basically there isn't really a better or worse here, it really depends on the user.

Back