Need GPU Suggestions

flyman0xp

n00b
I'm looking for a bit of feedback as to getting a new GPU. I am currently running a Sapphire Toxic 6950 and it's starting to show its age so I was thinking of upgrading to a R9 290 now that prices are finally starting to fall. However, with the launch of the GTX 980/970 this morning I'm once again conflicted. This is an upgrade strictly for gaming purposes at 1080p. I try to time out my purchases so that they will perform decently over 3-4 year window, I know that mid to the end of that window I will have to turn settings down. I am running Win7 right now and do not plan to move to Win8, though I may move to Win9. What has me so conflicted is the inclusion of DX12 in the new GTX cards. I know DX12 will be a Win8 and above upgrade. Suggestions are welcome on this!

Below are the rest of my system specs:
Core i7 3770K
16GB DDR3
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe MB

Whats your budget?

What games do you play?

Really light on specifics here. That being said it would be hard to go wrong with a 970.

I got a gtx 980 bc I wanted the titan cooler. But that's just me.

Budget aside, the most sensible choice now for gaming at 1080 is to grab a 970.
You mentioned wanting to go for the 290, I assumed your budget is ~350$ which makes the 970 makes even more sense.

Budget aside, the most sensible choice now for gaming at 1080 is to grab a 970.
You mentioned wanting to go for the 290, I assumed your budget is ~350$ which makes the 970 makes even more sense.

i agree, 970 is super cheap

Coming from your current GPU: 970 with factory OC and custom cooler all the way (check out the eVGA SC ACX reviews). Unless you can throw the cash out for a 980...but those seem to be quite a bit price gouged right now, so it makes more sense to go with a custom 970.

Last edited:
My budget is approx $400. I play a mix of FPS and RPG titles. My hope was to upgrade before Dragon Age Inquisition drops in November and I want something that will run it at max settings. I'm thinking of hanging tight for another month or two to see what AMD comes out with to compete with the new cards from NVIDIA....Anyone have any knowledge on the upcoming AMD launches?

You have a few months before Inquisition comes out. Wait it out and use your 6950 in the interim. We'll know what AMD has up their sleeves soon enough. I'd say by next month there will be info leaking.

If you plan to play any demanding games before Dragon age please post them and maybe we can recommend a stopgap solution.

I'm currently doing a run through of ME3, will probably replay a few other titles I've had around, or a few I got cheap on steam and haven't played yet, nothing overly demanding. I was looking at the EVGA card and noticed two part numbers: 04G-P4-0974-KR and 04G-P4-0972-KR. Anyone know the difference in them, EVGA's website is currently getting slammed on their product pages.

0972 is factory clocked at 1050 MHz
0974 is factory clocked at 1165 MHz

So just got the EVGA 04G-P4-0974-KR, the one with the higher overclock. Downside is that it's out of stock everywhere so I may be waiting a while for it. Hopefully Amazon gets it back in stock soon!

BTW, the reason I spent the extra $10 was that I have had mixed results trying to OC my own cards the past two generations. It's my hope I can go well beyond the stock OC, but this card gives me a fairly sizable factory OC to begin with so it's less headache/heartache if I can't.

I don't think you're going to need to worry about OC'ing it even further...it should auto boost to around 1350 MHz while gaming, and that'll put you around 780Ti performance.

Yea I read it but I responded according to the thread , no offense.
I thought he would change mind due to out of stock, thats the reason I said that.
I'm sorry anyways.

Yea I read it but I responded according to the thread , no offense.
I thought he would change mind due to out of stock, thats the reason I said that.
I'm sorry anyways.

No worries, I see what you meant, now. I think OP means he placed his order, but has to wait for stock to come in for his backorder to be fulfilled.

They say this runs cooler but I dont see it runs very cool though , most of them are over 73oC eh ?

I ordered off Amazon, was about 5min to late when I hit the order button so am waiting for stock to be filled. I had the screen up and was bouncing between a few different cards and by the time I pulled the trigger everyone was out of stock...go figure.

Oh well, now I get to wait impatiently for an email saying it's been shipped...

Haha I know that feeling , but sometimes even though they say shipped Il be allover the phone if the card doesn't arrive within 2 days lol .

i have 470gtx and i don't plan to upgrade lol,
i play at 1440x900 high ultra for the last 4 years hehehehehhehehehehe
only game that made my 470gtx cry, is dead risig 3, but still better experience than the xbox one, if i cap the fps to 30, no single dipat 900p meduim high, or 720p every thing high

Back