• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

need good external HD

teck9

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2002
Messages
265
just wondering what a good brand for mass storage external hard drives is. I'm between 100+ gig WD or Maxtor. Any suggestions?
 
I've found the best deal is to buy an external enclosure and an OEM hard drive.

Using www.bensbargains.net you can usually find external enclosures for around $30 and then find a good rebate deal on a hard drive for about $0.50/GB.

All the drive enclosures are about the same, just make sure you have a supported interface (USB or Firewire) and that the enclosure you'll get can support the amount of storage on your new hard drive.

Usually when you buy a retail external hard drive from a name brand such as WD or Maxtor, you're going to be paying a jacked up rate.
 
Xrave has it right. Hit newegg.com , grab a USB2.0 enclosure for 35 bux, and slap the biggest hard drive you can in there. I love mine.
 
Heh.

Nothing beats being able to drag your hard drives around and just plug them in to any computer.
 
on a related topic, are there any issues with putting cd/dvd+-rw's in enclosures? I'm thinking about this, and don't wanna waste $35-50. I need usb2 and fw, so it'll be fairly expensive but not as bad as another 811s. thanks.
 
The enclosures typically work with optical drives (just check the specifications first).
 
Man I dislike external Hard Disk Drives!
Pluses to them.
Less stuff in your case!
Negitives on them.
More room takin up on your desk
slower than most internal HDDs(well)
blah blah blah


I just wanted to put in my 2 cents
 
Back
Top