Need good anti-virus software for a small business for little money

KungFu-tse

Weaksauce
I need a good antivirus software for a small business of 7 computers. One computer is running Windows Server 2003 Small Business edition, and the other six running XP Pro. We only have four employees and my boss is real stingy on money.

We tried AVG Free Edition for several months but can't use it anymore. For some reason, it thinks our wholesale jewelry software (RightClick) is spyware, and it locks the program from being used. I had to uninstall AVG from all the workstations.

Can't use Norton because they use CD keys and product activation.

Right now we're using McAfee Virusscan version 9.0. Since VS9 doesn't use a CD key and tracks your subscription through email and password, I was able to use that same CD and install it on all the workstations. Yes, it's a violation of the license agreement because I only bought one license. But it sure beats having to pay $200-$300 anually for multiple license on our workstations.

You see, my boss is extremely stingy when it comes to spending. He'd balk at the idea of having to pay an annual subscription. So this is the reason why we buy one Virusscan CD and install that same CD on all the computers, to avoid paying multiple license.

My fear is that one day, McAfee will either follow Symantec's example and start using CD keys, or they'll find another some other method of enforcing one license per workstation. And I'm sure it'll happen one day.

Personally, I'd just pay the damn subscription fee and licenses on all the computers. But the thing is it's my boss's money, not mine.

My question is this: Are there any other cheap alternative virusscan software that can be used in a small business environment for 7 computers?

Is it okay to continue the same method I'm doing now (use one McAfee CD on all the computers to dodge multi-user license fees)?

And finally, if all else fails, how do I break the news to my boss? What do I tell him?

KungFu-tse said:
And finally, if all else fails, how do I break the news to my boss? What do I tell him?

Do do things right. Pirating = :rolleyes:

Is SBS even legit? Office? WinXPpro?

The cost of keeping a business network running. Ask him how much he'd pay to get his network and information back if someone took it.

Normally you'd be paying about 500 bucks for the first year, and 350 - 400 bucks per year after that for renewals. Basing this on Server and workstation protection, plus a module to protect the Exchange Server and Outlook clients.

And remind him how stiff fines can be for pirating. Last year an architect firm that I've done servers for...got bagged by Autocad....for pirating the archi-cad product. They paid around $40k in fines.

Microsoft can fine up to $25k per infraction for piracy.

maybe look into kaspersky anti-virus. i have been using it for about a year now and it is awesome. it uses minimal resources and works amazingly well

YeOldeStonecat said:
Do do things right. Pirating = :rolleyes:

Is SBS even legit? Office? WinXPpro?

SBS is legit, it's a Dell server. So are XP and Office on our Dell workstations since it came with it. However, we have a few custom built computers with XP installed illegally (using a crack) and Office 2000 Pro using the same CD key (wasn't my idea).

My boss usually don't see eye to eye on this issue. I like doing things right and legimately but he's more concerned with his money.

But now that you mentioned that it'll cost him more if he gets caught, maybe that should get his attention.

for AVG, open it up

then go to resident shield

at the bottom click on 'properties'

go to the 'excludes' tab

click 'edit excludes'

tick the box labeled 'use excludes in AVG resident shield'

click 'add path'

browse to the path for your jewelery software, and click 'ok'

click 'ok'

restart computer.

Do a full system scan and see if AVG picks up on it.

That should make it so AVG won't scan that directory, therefore, it won't mark your software as spyware or whatever.

AVG is great software. If you are using old computers, NOD32 is also awesome but it takes up minimal resources.

Anyways, try out the fix I just listed and let us know how it goes.

Using the free avg is a violation of the license agreement as it is not licensed for business use if I remember right. Pretty much put it to him this way. MS and the others can at anypoint inspect computers with there software to check if it is all legit. It only takes a random check or someone to make really one phone call for them to show up. If they catch it they will in many cases format the machine to remove all software off it to remove the pirate software of theres. This means loosing all data off it. Further they will in many cases seek legal action. The fines can go up to $100k per infraction. Pretty much it is not worth it. One mad employee or customer can cause more damage with a single phone call then paying for the software for the next 50 years.

swatbat said:
If they catch it they will in many cases format the machine to remove all software off it to remove the pirate software of theres.

Isn't that rather illegal, sort of like torching the house of someone who copied a book you wrote?
(It'll probably work well to scare him, though, and that's the main point.)

You don't want to scare him with overstated advice, just tell him how it is. I know sometimes you have to walk a tightrope being a responsible IT guy AND keep the boss happy with your suggestions and implimentations.

Oftentimes, a multiuser liscense is cheaper than a bunch of single user liscences.

Get NOD32. It works great, and you can control it nicely remotely and keep everyone's machines working great.

Asgorath said:
You don't want to scare him with overstated advice, just tell him how it is. I know sometimes you have to walk a tightrope being a responsible IT guy AND keep the boss happy with your suggestions and implimentations.

Oftentimes, a multiuser liscense is cheaper than a bunch of single user liscences.

Get NOD32. It works great, and you can control it nicely remotely and keep everyone's machines working great.

FTW

i know how hard it is to keep some SB's legit.

Back