NEED GOOD 20"+ CRT FOR GAMING

Vermicious Knid

Limp Gawd
My old 19" KDS walmart special monitor is starting to show its age... :(
anything more then 60hz or 1000x700 rez is 'wobbly' dunno if its the monitor or my eyes...

But anyways im in the market for a new big/bad ass monitor
Should be able to do 1600x1200 at 100hz or more, be at least 20" in size, have a decent dot pitch for crispy IQ, and come it at less then $400 (im not too up on current monitors/prices if it cant be had for this much reccomend it anyways so i know how much i should be saving)

recommendations anyone?

samsung 1100df..............i just got it about 2 months ago and i have loved every minute with it. anandtech did a review on it while they were putting together a system build guide and they had great things to say about it as well.

There should be a sticky saying...

Best 22" CRT Monitor: Mitsubishi 2070SB or NEC FP2141.

Best 19" CRT Monitor: Mitsubishi 930SB or the NEC equivalent which I can't remember.

It's not like the field of CRT monitors is changing every month or something.

I second that. I feel like this topic has been addressed a million times already. But loving the 2141 as much as I do, I have no problem saying it again :p

Viewsonic Crt P220F 22' All the way !!!!!!!!!
Loving it as hell i am just about to return the 20' LCD(high end Viewsonic VP201b 20" LCD) i just bought cause there is no relation :)
Take it enjoy it !!!!

i've had nothing but fantastic results on my Mitsubishi Diamondtron 22" crt. ive had the enormous sucker for 5 years, and still works like a charm.

Yessy2952 said:
You can make your own
Make your own CRT??? Not that it would not be entertaining to try - but I have never heard of this...

Silmatharien said:
I'd be interested in reading about making your own CRT. Post a link in the thread.

Something about the notion of an electron gun that fires hundreds of millions of light waves and electrons per second of a variety of different colors using advanced electromagnets seems a bit out of the reach of the average consumer's ability to construct.

krameriffic said:
Something about the notion of an electron gun that fires hundreds of millions of light waves and electrons per second of a variety of different colors using advanced electromagnets seems a bit out of the reach of the average consumer's ability to construct.

could be an interesting read though.

I would say the usual stuff like Mitsubishi DP2070 or NEC FP2141. A nice second choice to these two would be the NEC FE2111, but the DP2070 and FP2141 use a higher end tube (read: better images, higher refresh).

Of course, here's the problem: I doubt you can find any of the above three brand new anymore, though I'm sure you can find plenty as refurbs or used by other people. Since your price cap is $400 I don't think you'd have a problem with buying a non-new monitor, since all of them fetched prices of $500-600 brand new.

I still use a slightly smaller FP912, the colors are amazing, more brilliant compared to my Sony FW900, which is just a beast (100 pounds, 24 inches) - the FP2141 is the same way.

I just sold my Mitsubishi 2060u 22"er this week or I'd sell you mine. A friend of mine just upgraded all of the crt's at his business and got lcd's. Anyone want to buy some 21" Viewsonic crt's in good condition in the Chattanooga, TN. area? He has three pallets of them if anyones interested. PM me if your interested.

Mitsibishi 22inch 2070SB Diamondtron

(0.24 dot pitch, aperture grill based , recommended native of 85hz @1600X1200

There are only 2 high end aperture grill tubes in CRTs. Diamontron and Trinitron *Sony and Mitishbishi*

It's a VERY nice monitor, although quiet large , it is able to go to full HD 2048 X 1536 @
85hz. Makes use of a extra elctron gun, for "Super Bright" mode, which is very effective at reaching almost LCD levels of brightness, yet with pefect blacks,and a deep rich accurate colour gamut.

It recieved all round top reviews upon its release ,and is still sort after today. Although price no doubt has come down......

One of my best purchases!, it's the one item that ive been pleased with from day one, and have had absolutly ZERO regrets or issues..... If only buying everything was like this!

It's biggest weakness would be clarity of text, it could be clearer, but where this monitor really shines is for images. Photos look phenomally good!!. Like someone dropped a real life photo behind the glass.......! really accurate colour representation.

It also excells in 3D gaming and 1080I movies, with SB mode.

Had mine for 3 years now, the only reason i may upgrade to LCD is for dual screens.. I need more real-estate.

Back