Need glossy 27" or 30" for new system

mschind0

n00b
I just ordered the parts for my new system but the monitors I'm really on the fence about. They've given me the most trouble and I've spent the most time researching them. Actually, researching displays is how I found [Hard] Forum. However, I just went to the local Micro Center and actually looked at some monitors, and now know that:

1) 24" felt small, so much so that I want to to get 27" or 30"
2) I really, really like glossy screens. Why have I never seen one before? I think I thought they were TVs. To me, that is how a monitor should be.

I need suggestions on the best glossy 27" and 30" monitors. So far I only know HP makes glossy monitors.

My system is: (thread on my computer build is here)

CPU: i7 920
Mobo: Asus P6T SE
Video Card: ASUS EAH4870 Radeon HD 4870 1GB
6 GB RAM
Windows 7
Mostly for MS Office apps, maybe some web design stuff, but super-accurate color doesn't seem key to me; minimal to no gaming.

I've been all over the place, from the Dell 22" e-IPS to different 24" TNs, to the new Dell U2410, 27" Hanns-G, etc. Any suggestions and advice are welcome, as my title accurately indicates I am a n00bie. However, there is no rush on these as I can build my system using an old monitor for the time being. (If anyone knows where I can pick-up an X25-M 80 GB SSD, though, please pass it on as I do need that to put my computer together.)

I believe the best compromise would be the HP W2558HC 25.5" (they call it a 26")
It's a glossy panel

what koslov said, the HP will be probably the only glossy option (I have to ask why you'd want such a terrible thing done to a monitor....)

I know of no 30" (as in WQXGA 30") monitors with a glossy face, TV's is another story, if you went with a smaller monitor in the realm of a 19 or 22" (whatever the kids today think is trendy), you'll find some glossy options, although at larger sizes, probably not a whole ton of options aside from the glass/plexi faced Macs, and the HPs

furthermore, WQXGA is a pretty big order for your 4870

Just swapped my LP2475W for a w2558hc and love it.

Great blacks, great colours and no crappy sparkles caused by antiglare coatings... all that plus a ton of extras like remote control, photo frame and desk light.

Only thing i didnt like was ALL of the presets but using my graphic card's built in controls (nvidia but assume ati does the same) i got a stunning picture.

The extra 1.5 inches from 24 to 25.5 makes a big difference when viewing text (24" monitors have a smaller dot pitch than i used to get with my 1280 x 1024 19" or my 1024 x 768 17" before that).

I have an iMac 24" at S-IPS at work and this is just as good a display for about half the price. Buy it direct from HP and if you dont like return it under DSR regs, but I am sure you will :)

Good luck whatever you choose!

Back