need free audio recording software

I do have couple programs that can record from what i hear or wave, but I need some program that will allow me to set a time to record. I need to record state of trance which is from internet radio from 2pm-4pm but Im at work. Can't find a program that will allow me to set time to record.

Well, I know you can use Task Scheduler to begin your favorite audio program (Audacity?).
And, I know you can map a key-stroke to record in Audacity (R).
And I know you can set a batch file to feed keystrokes............so I'm pretty sure you can automate this without another program.

Cmon guys, someone here can pull these together for him.

Yes, but audacity can't record streaming radio, can it? We'd need to know what type of stream the program is broadcast in, wouldn't we? Or am I an idiot? Do you have a cable running from your headphone jack to your mic jack?

I'd say use VNC to access your PC from your work PC.

Edit:

After a google search, this program is offered on demand. http://www.di.fm/content/asot/ Is that what you're looking for?

If you don't like this, google streamripper.

I think there's a program called Tunebite that records audio from WMP and iTunes. I think it can be set to automatically start recording when these start playing something. I don't think it's free though.

If he can listen to a stream, he can record it with audacity. Heck, if you play your fav video-game, you can record that too if you want.

Note: your not recording directly from the stream though......it'll record any other system sounds too, which is why if I do it, I don't do anything else at the same time.

BTW: I use streamripper, and there are no hotkey assignments for it (to start recording)....the stand-alone, or winamp version either I believe. It'd be easier to leave the stream playing, and set a program to begin recording at the appropreate time.

Ok, tell me how to set audacity up to do that. I've tried it with Concert Vault and all I can come up with is a line from the headphone jack to the mic jack.

All you have to do is set it to record from "Sterio Mix"(or similar input option.....they sometimes change depending on the soundcard), and it will record anything coming out of the speakers. I'm using ver 1.2.3, but I've done it on a friends computer with ver 1.2.6 . I've used it to record streams (only thing is its recorded as one project, so you need to edit it to save individual songs), and music from websites where you can play songs, but not download them. I've also hooked the output from digital cable radio stations (off the cable box) into the line in and recorded stuff from there.

The biggest issue is setting the thing to record at a specific time, and I'm sure someone here more familiar with creating batch files can make this a go. Maybe a similar post in the OS forum linked to here would draw in the right people.

I got it now. Thanks. I've played with all of the options in the "Project" dropdown and could never get it to work. But changing the box at the top right from "microphone" to "stereo mix" was the trick. I had given up on it, but you brought it back to life for me.

P.S. My first test run seemed to show a poorer audio sound on the recorded version tho'.

I got it now. Thanks. I've played with all of the options in the "Project" dropdown and could never get it to work. But changing the box at the top right from "microphone" to "stereo mix" was the trick. I had given up on it, but you brought it back to life for me.

P.S. My first test run seemed to show a poorer audio sound on the recorded version tho'.

you mentioned several different software in your earlier post, which one your using? k, its early and i'm a lil slow :p

The stream that I was wanting to record was streamed with Adobe and there are no programs yet to capture that type of stream.
I googled stream ripper and there seemed to be different types for different types of streams. I remember "icecast" as one of the types of streams that there was a good streamripper for. But, I am far from an expert on this. I just tried to do it once, failed, and quit.

VNC is a free program to control a remote PC. Like gotomypc. I know for a fact that if you go back to the oldest version of RealVNC, it will run from a thumb drive on an admin locked work PC. Then you can manually start your recording from work. Or, go to portableapps.com and get the audacity that will run on your thumb drive.

P.S. Audacity saves its temporary audio in some huge lossless file, so an hour of recording will take up a lot of space.

Well, thats the problem with streaming media.........if it were so easy to record it, there probably wouldnt be as much of it. I've been through this trying to record streaming video also. They should'nt worry though......radio didn't die because of tape-recorders in boom-boxes.

Its much easier to play the stream, and record it seperately.

Well guess what fokes, I got this program call Goldwave and it work fine for me. I use http://di.fm for the trance station and I capture using wave output. Goldwave allow me to set time to record automatically when it reaches that specify time. :D

Just for your info, I emailed the makers of Audacity about the ability to record at a specific time/day/duration being added into the next release. Here's the reply:

The Beta unstable version of Audacity has this feature now:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/features-1.3-k.php

The Beta program contains new and sometimes unfinished or not
fully tested features. Users wanting a stable finished program should
use 1.2.6. The Beta is intended mainly for users who are already
experienced with Audacity who want to try the new features and can
give us feedback on how they work. If you wish you can install
both 1.2.6 and 1.3.2. to your computer if they are installed to different
directories. The Windows installer for Beta 1.3.2 will automatically install
into a different directory than 1.2.6.

Note that while 1.3.2 will attempt to open Projects created in 1.2.x
versions, you should back up the original .aup file and _data folder to be
on the safe side. Projects created in 1.3.2 cannot be opened in 1.2.x
versions of Audacity.

Also note if you are on OS X that you need 10.3 or later to run the 1.3.2
version. On Windows you need Windows 2000 or later to run the Unicode
version of 1.3.2 but you can run the non-Unicode 1.3.2 on Windows 98 or
later.

You can read about the other new features in the Beta which are not in 1.2.6
here:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/features-1.3-a

If you prefer to stay with Audacity 1.2.x you can already schedule the end of
a recording, if you can be there to start it:

1. Turn on "Play other tracks while recording new one" in the
"Audio I/O" tab of Audacity preferences.
2. Choose "New Audio Track" from the Project menu.
3. Zoom out if necessary, then on the new track click the point where you
want to start the recording and drag the point to right to select the
amount of time you want to record.
4. Start recording. Audacity will start recording in a new track and stop
recording automatically when it reaches the end of the selected area in
the track above.

If you are on Windows, there is also a free standalone programs which can
schedule Audacity to start and stop recording, and can launch Audacity
if necessary:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/audaremote/

Audacity.exe must be in its default location of

C:\Program_Files\Audacity

for this program to work.

Again: Audacity and Audaremote are completely FREE.

BTW: I tried it and it works nice.;)

Just for your info, I emailed the makers of Audacity about the ability to record at a specific time/day/duration being added into the next release. Here's the reply:

Again: Audacity and Audaremote are completely FREE.

BTW: I tried it and it works nice.;)

Nice, i <3 you

lol, j/k but thanks :p

No problemo. Glad this thread started......I had wanted this functionality before, but hadn't thought to contact the source for an answer.

Back