Need for Speed: Most Wanted

piratepress

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone else tried this yet? My local Target had a couple boxes on the shelf last night so I picked one up. I've played all the other NFS games since the original back in '94 and I had high hopes for this one. But I'm not too impressed with what I've seen so far. The game starts with you in an Aston Martin and vehicle control of it was atrocious. Shortly thereafter, you move up to a Porsche 911 and it at least handles a little better. After the first race, you also win some better tires so that might possibly explain the poor handling. The intro graphics are very nice, but in-game is disappointing. I've got every option cranked to the max at 1920x1080 and it doesn't look like there is any option for AA or AF-- objects up close look good, but the skyline is very jagged. I'm going to try it more in-depth tonight and I hope it it gets better.

The 2012 one isn't released yet last I checked. That's probably the 2005 one and that was amazing.

The 2005 version started you out in a BMW, not an Austin Martin, and you go from the BMW to your starter car. The 2012 version just released today. I hope it's good, because I really liked the 2005 Most Wanted.

The 2005 version started you out in a BMW, not an Austin Martin, and you go from the BMW to your starter car. The 2012 version just released today. I hope it's good, because I really liked the 2005 Most Wanted.

Yeah I was kind of confused about that, but it said it would only get released today.

Supposedly this is the spiritual successor to Burnout Paradise and reviews have been good thus far...at least for the console versions.
Target is doing "buy 2 get 1 free" this week, so I'm going by there and hoping they'll have the PC version on the shelf.

The 2012 one isn't released yet last I checked. That's probably the 2005 one and that was amazing.

:confused: WTF?!? Like I said, I've played every single one since the first one in '94 so I know what I'm talking about. I don't even think Target would still stock a NFS game from 2005 much less sell it for $59.99.

:confused: WTF?!? Like I said, I've played every single one since the first one in '94 so I know what I'm talking about. I don't even think Target would still stock a NFS game from 2005 much less sell it for $59.99.

What the hell? The game is $50 on Origin. Did you go at midnight?

These are my impressions from yesterday after a few hours playing, copy and pasted from another forum I go to.

Some impressions, played for a few hours today so far (used a Korean VPN to unlock it).

If you want a Need for Speed game, don't bother with it. If you want a Burnout game, pick it up.

This feels like Burnout Paradise with cops and licensed cars.

So besides that here is my thoughts on things in the game so far.

It is a solid racing game, it looks nice and plays nice. The music is downright horrible even for a bunch of licensed stuff that EA usually does.

My biggest problems I've had with gameplay are and mainly, there is no penalty for the cops busting you, they bust you and it simply says busted and the screen goes back to where you were and you continue playing. It is easier and quicker to just get busted if there was something you were wanting to do right away then trying to ditch them. You no longer earn money or any type of currency you can do anything with, you simply have to do races for each car to unlock upgrades for that car and you can customize your car anywhere even in the middle of a race if you want and can do imo retarded crap because of that, you can earn self inflating tires, so if you hit a spike strip from the cops you can slap on those self inflating tires and boom tires are back. Basic layout for upgrades seems to be pick a car, there are 6 races total for that car. Each race has 2 upgrades, 1 for first and 1 for second, so if you come in first place you get both upgrades. Repeat that formula for each card as you only use upgrades on the card you won them for. Note, all the races aren't actually just races, for example there is one where you are solo and you have to keep an average speed of xxx the entire race to qualify for whatever place.

My only other issue with races is that you can only restart the race while in it and there is no redo last race when you just finish it and have to drive all the way back to start it again, there was a few times it was really close and I wasn't sure if I was going to get 1st or 2nd till we finished the line and then have to drive all the way back to redo it. At least when I know I'm not in 1st I can simply pause and restart the race.

You find cars now by driving around and seeing them parked (they will have a the their automakers logo above them so they are not hard to see and some are even premarked on the map). You can earn a few cars in that when you race and beat a person on the most wanted list, at the end of the race you can take down their car and earn it, but that is it. The map, I dunno, it feels a bit small, but there are lots of alleyways and you can enter a lot of structures to go up a few levels. There is lots of gates and billboards to find and smash, my only issue with the billboards is they respawn but don't count towards the grand total as each billboard destroyed so it is a bit annoying seeing one and you are not sure if you destroyed it or not.

Honestly, it seems Criterion just made a Burnout game here and slapped a NFS logo on it. Don't get me wrong, I love Burnout (Burnout 3 was one of the best racing games ever imo love it). But I wanted a NFS game here (and Most Wanted (from 2005) was one of my fav NFS), not BO with cops.

It probably wouldn't irritate so bad if getting caught my the cops had no penalty and that you can cheese your way with customizing anywhere anytime.

I've read that on the PC the controller doesn't feel "tight" to those that have it installed is this true? Laggy steering I guess?

No luck at the Target stores near here. I'll try again tomorrow I guess.

It's out. I'm interested if it lives up to hype and billing. Amazon has all versions out right now including PC download version...which of course means Origin. Left hand/right hand there.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/30/need-for-speed-most-wanted-review-3

IGN loves it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-most-wanted-review-round-up-almost-paradise/

Shaping up nicely. Promising.

Joystiq: 4/5 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted is the next Burnout game fans have clamoring for - it may not say so on the box, but everything about it screams Burnout. The feel of the cars, the physics and the eclectic mix of multiplayer modes are all undeniably Criterion qualities, the things old fans love and the properties that convert new fans with every studio release. If you enjoy Criterion's work, or arcade racing in general, head on down to Fairhaven. Just keep an eye on the rear-view.

Destructoid: 8.5/10 - Fans of Criterion's previous games were clear in what they wanted, and in turn, Criterion themselves were clear in what they were making. There are some scrapes with single-player and a lack of polish here and there, but the multiplayer delivers in such a big way that all of this hardly matters. Need for Speed Most Wanted is that big, crazy, crash-y open-world racer you've been asking for.

Enough to sell it to me right here.

This feels like Burnout Paradise with cops and licensed cars.

Exactly what I was hoping for. :) Really. This should sell a lot of copies right here.

My biggest problems I've had with gameplay are and mainly, there is no penalty for the cops busting you, they bust you and it simply says busted and the screen goes back to where you were and you continue playing. It is easier and quicker to just get busted if there was something you were wanting to do right away then trying to ditch them. You no longer earn money or any type of currency you can do anything with, you simply have to do races for each car to unlock upgrades for that car and you can customize your car anywhere even in the middle of a race if you want and can do imo retarded crap because of that, you can earn self inflating tires, so if you hit a spike strip from the cops you can slap on those self inflating tires and boom tires are back. Basic layout for upgrades seems to be pick a car, there are 6 races total for that car. Each race has 2 upgrades, 1 for first and 1 for second, so if you come in first place you get both upgrades. Repeat that formula for each card as you only use upgrades on the card you won them for. Note, all the races aren't actually just races, for example there is one where you are solo and you have to keep an average speed of xxx the entire race to qualify for whatever place.

That sounds a little too simplistic and streamlined.

My only other issue with races is that you can only restart the race while in it and there is no redo last race when you just finish it and have to drive all the way back to start it again, there was a few times it was really close and I wasn't sure if I was going to get 1st or 2nd till we finished the line and then have to drive all the way back to redo it. At least when I know I'm not in 1st I can simply pause and restart the race.

A little silly. Maybe a patch can fix that up?

You find cars now by driving around and seeing them parked (they will have a the their automakers logo above them so they are not hard to see and some are even premarked on the map). You can earn a few cars in that when you race and beat a person on the most wanted list, at the end of the race you can take down their car and earn it, but that is it. The map, I dunno, it feels a bit small, but there are lots of alleyways and you can enter a lot of structures to go up a few levels. There is lots of gates and billboards to find and smash, my only issue with the billboards is they respawn but don't count towards the grand total as each billboard destroyed so it is a bit annoying seeing one and you are not sure if you destroyed it or not.

Honestly, it seems Criterion just made a Burnout game here and slapped a NFS logo on it. Don't get me wrong, I love Burnout (Burnout 3 was one of the best racing games ever imo love it). But I wanted a NFS game here (and Most Wanted (from 2005) was one of my fav NFS), not BO with cops.

It probably wouldn't irritate so bad if getting caught my the cops had no penalty and that you can cheese your way with customizing anywhere anytime.

Noted. I do think that has been telegraphed for months as being basically another Burnout game, though, for all intents and purposes.

Last edited:
Anyone know how steering wheel support is? Have a G27 and can't play racing games without it. I know the original NFS:MW supported it as did The Run.

Hell, I'd buy it on Origin in a second if Target wasn't running that crazy 3-for-2 deal.
This will be the first PC game I've purchased in a store since Neverwinter Nights 2.

First racing game on my new cpu/motherboard configuration and it was money well spent.

I obtained it via origin and really it was because I received an email from EA about picking up the limited edition with more vehicles, I knew nothing about the game but after reading I figured out that Criterion was behind it and that was enough for me as I've enjoyed their Burnout series in the past.

I spent 3 hours with it last night after work using my xbox 360 pc controller and it ran flawlessly but more importantly it was fun. Acquiring the vehicles is only a matter of finding them and the game gives you the ability to do what you may. Piss off the cops? Easily done. Cruise around and enjoy the scenery or do what I did which is basically drive around finding cars and then ramping them through billboards - I love this game.

Graphics are great but bottom line it was fun. Full disclosure - I'm a huge car fanatic so things like finding the Boss 302 or hearing the glorious exhaust note of the Sls Amg are things I enjoy.

First racing game on my new cpu/motherboard configuration and it was money well spent.

I obtained it via origin and really it was because I received an email from EA about picking up the limited edition with more vehicles, I knew nothing about the game but after reading I figured out that Criterion was behind it and that was enough for me as I've enjoyed their Burnout series in the past.

I spent 3 hours with it last night after work using my xbox 360 pc controller and it ran flawlessly but more importantly it was fun. Acquiring the vehicles is only a matter of finding them and the game gives you the ability to do what you may. Piss off the cops? Easily done. Cruise around and enjoy the scenery or do what I did which is basically drive around finding cars and then ramping them through billboards - I love this game.

Graphics are great but bottom line it was fun. Full disclosure - I'm a huge car fanatic so things like finding the Boss 302 or hearing the glorious exhaust note of the Sls Amg are things I enjoy.

Excellent. :)

60 fps cap. No options for AA or vsync. Many FPS drops to 30 or 40 fps, everyone seems to be affected by that. Handling is absolute shit.

The guys at guru3d werent impressed either -
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4443513#post4443513

Overall, poor purchase but I once again fell for the asshole EA marketing machine.

Console noobs buy every piece of shit game on the market, they can - because they can trade them in.

Yeah, I'm disappointed in my purchase. I got the game for $35 from Greenmangaming and still don't feel it was worth it. I took the risk because of the price and I love love loved the original NFS Most Wanted. Figured I'd give EA a chance preordering as well because of the free games I got on Origin lol.

I bought the game thinking "hey, it's from criterion and i loved Burnout Paradise, so I will probably enjoy it!"

So far though I'm not.

I haaaaate how licensed cars never allow game companies to show that much dmg ont heir cars, like people don't know even a super expensive BMW/Ferrai, etc will get damaged in a wreck/totaled and aren't indestructible cars.

I didn't think that was in but yep, the damage of cars is scaled waaaaaaaay back compared to Burnout, you can slam into a wall at 100+mph and the cars NEVER crumple. AT most you see a little wrinkle in the body and maybe cracked glass, it feels so "Fake/out of place."

Also it doesn't make sense, they have all these cars hidden around the city to find , you'd think you'd be able to "swap" them on the fly but no, if you select a different car it warps you to that cars specific location and you have to drive alllll the way back where you were or where you want to go.

On the flip side it seems NFS fans aren't taking a liking to the game either. However as a Burnout fan I am disappointed in it as well, it reminds me of the Mortal Kombat guys when they did the crossover MK vs DC game and toned back the gore, that's what this game feels like, Burnout without the awesome damage/crashing.

Sounds like they needed to either fully pick one or the other. BE Burnout or BE NFS. So you have people in both camps let down a little bit from what I'm gathering.

I think a lot of complaints here stem from the fact that it was envisioned as a multiplayer game, not a singleplayer one.

I think a lot of complaints here stem from the fact that it was envisioned as a multiplayer game, not a singleplayer one.

Well that sucks but figured it was going that route. I was hoping for a good follow-up with SP.

I bought "The Run" (on PS3) when it came out and found SP to suck due to 3-5 minute interval races. MP to be broken.

Looks like this is bargain bin material once again.

I've found that dropping all the effects to Medium at 1920x1080 gives me a steady 60 fps and makes it much more playable. It's a shame too, because the scenery looks gorgeous with everything maxxed out. Obviously, it's poorly optimized as I'm ahead of even the recommended settings and it runs so badly. Hopefully, EA will push out some patches that will address this.

this game blows. it's fun until you realize there's no point.. in anything. at all. there's no motivation to do races other than getting magical upgrades for your car. ten minutes later, fully upgraded car, what's there to do? upgrade another car and muster enough badass points to make it to the top of THE MOST WANTED LIST FUCK YEAH.

the bigger problem is it's not even enjoyable to drive anything. the vehicle physics of this game are disgustingly akin to sliding a fucking turd around on a buttered skillet.

The previous NFS games shipped in so-so shape at best, so this isn't surprising.

Anyone know if the guy posting about the game at Target was trolling? My local Targets (I checked 3) don't have it and their website doesn't list the PC version either.

this game blows. it's fun until you realize there's no point.. in anything. at all. there's no motivation to do races other than getting magical upgrades for your car. ten minutes later, fully upgraded car, what's there to do? upgrade another car and muster enough badass points to make it to the top of THE MOST WANTED LIST FUCK YEAH.

the bigger problem is it's not even enjoyable to drive anything. the vehicle physics of this game are disgustingly akin to sliding a fucking turd around on a buttered skillet.

This post makes me sad. :(

Oh well, I have a pretty full gaming plate for the forseeable future. By the time I come up for air this will be about $10 and hopefully have several big time patches under its belt.

This game only succeeds in making me want to play the original Most Wanted.

Me too. I kind of want to get the Black Edition of that, but it's like $70 for some reason, the regular one is $5...:confused:

This game only succeeds in making me want to play the original Most Wanted.

Fantastic game. One of my all time favorite racers.

All they needed to do was take that concept and bring it all to the next level and watch the sales rack up.

Does it still use that lazy ai rubber-banding where if you are racing well, ai opponents will get unlimited nitro-boost to keep up and pass?

That pretty much kills off any remaining interest I may have had.

just wait for the bargain bin. it's worth $5 or $10 but no more, imo. it's a shame, really. but it's what i come to expect from NFS. i still reminisce of the porsche unleashed days. good times, good times :(

You know another thing I really miss and it took a bit to realize what it was, the environment take downs that the original Most Wanted had. Taking out the supporting leg of the giant donut and stuff to help get cops off your butt. That was part of what made the cop chases fun.

You know another thing I really miss and it took a bit to realize what it was, the environment take downs that the original Most Wanted had. Taking out the supporting leg of the giant donut and stuff to help get cops off your butt. That was part of what made the cop chases fun.

This.. I love the Original NFSMW and I didnt mind the AI having unlimited nitros since it helps my adrenaline going. Awesome game and soundtrack was not too shabby as well.
Do you need to use origin to play the original most wanted? I think I still have my copy somewhere.

After Hot Pursuit (the most recent one) I don't see how anyone didn't see this coming....

Game blew balls.

Back