• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need for Speed Most Wanted PC version hitching

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
4,880
Hey guys, has anyone else experienced any hitching during gameplay on their computer? I've tried turning the detail down, but it still hitches here and there. The frame rates are also a little inconsistent as it will be really fast one moment, and then hitch the next...............
 
hmm... don't have the full version yet but I can't say I've experienced that.

9800pro, 1gig ram, athlon 2400+ mobile OC'd


(mostly high settings)
 
Hey, thanks or posting that as it really helps. I'm still getting some hitching with some inconsistent frame rates after setting the cpu affinity, but it's nowhere near as bad as before and is now playable. I just have to say WOW! when it comes to these graphics.
 
I'm getting weird hitching too, with lower framerates than seem reasonable and other problems like this on MY setup. I'm having to seriously lower quality settings to get it even close to playable, and it's still bad. The official requirements actually list a Geforce 2 MX as about the lowest this game supposedly will run on! If an X850XT-PE can't get maximum quality settings out of this game, something is seriously wrong. Call of Duty 2 and other such games run nice and smoothly on this system with amazing quality settings and I'm getting a 3DMark05 score of 6.7K, so something is fishy here. I was all hyped up for a new game with great quality graphics and everything, but, at these settings it actually looks worse than it's predecessors.
 
Nazo said:
I'm getting weird hitching too, with lower framerates than seem reasonable and other problems like this on MY setup. I'm having to seriously lower quality settings to get it even close to playable, and it's still bad. The official requirements actually list a Geforce 2 MX as about the lowest this game supposedly will run on! If an X850XT-PE can't get maximum quality settings out of this game, something is seriously wrong.


Not sure what the problem is, but my x850xt pe works just fine on max details on 1280x1024 (lcd native). Very fluid and great graphics......must either be your processor not being up to par or something else wrong.

My rig:

Opteron 146 @ 2.7GHZ
2GB mem
x850XT PE
DFI Nforce 4
 
Uhm. Turn signature viewing on. My processor is "up to par." Not the best of the best, but, so far beyond the minimum requirements it's not even funny. EDIT: Actually, I did say I had a 6.7K 05 score and CoD2 ran smoothly, and do you think either would be true if I had a crappy processor? I'll bet CoD2 has higher CPU requirements due to all those AIs and everything going at once. NFS-MW probably doesn't have much more than physics and very basic AIs on the other cars.

BTW, I'm getting some weird effect where it shuts off anti-aliasing. I tried both with FSAA forced on in the control panel and set to "let the application decide" and if it's using FSAA when I set it to the highest setting in the advanced menu, it's using 1x because it's ugly as heck. I seem to see some kind of subtle motion blur effect or something running too, and I wonder if that's related. The effect is more subtle than previous NFS games' motion blur option, but, it still seems like it's there, and I hate it. IRL, I don't see blurriness everywhere I look, and I don't see why I have to in gaming too. I wonder if it's related though because I'm kind of reminded of how some games had the "bloom" effect that blurred the heck out of everything for the people who have no eyes and a strong stomach which apparently couldnt' run at the same time as FSAA, so never stayed on for more than a few minutes for me.
 
Try turning down the shadows and reflections to see if that helps. I can see why this game is so demanding system wise, as there are lot of dynamic variables that change in real time.
 
I also get some hitching, I have a 6800GT, 1 gig ram and an athlon 2400 all stock speeds. I dont get lots of hitching but it seems like every minute or so it happens, I am not to concerned about it though cuz I am playing the demo...and loving it oh yeah I am playing at all high setting, no AA at 1600x1200
 
junehhan said:
Try turning down the shadows and reflections to see if that helps. I can see why this game is so demanding system wise, as there are lot of dynamic variables that change in real time.
Way ahead of you. I turned those down first, even before I lowered the resolution. My first inclination was to assume maybe the game was highly optimized for nVidia at the expense of ATi, but, with another X850XT-PE user running it smoothly, I guess that can't be the case. I'm wondering if it might help to know all the control panel settings, but, I've tried pretty well turning everything down and turning off stuff like the AI, so it's hard to believe it might be a control panel setting really.

At this point I'm inclined to say to heck with this game and go back to NFS-U2, which worked great even on my old card after I messed it up and only works better on my new card. At least, once I finish playing CoD2.
 
Defragged about three times with a complete (not "stealth") defrag. Tried lowering and raising the aperature. The game still runs kind of sluggish and jerks a little here and there no matter what settings I try.
 
I'm getting hitching with an FX-55 @ 2.8 and 7800GTX SLI with 2 gigs of ram. It isnt my processor or setup. Hell I can play CoD2 pretty nicely. I added a custom SLI profile and that helped a ton, but even at low detail settings, incl shadows & reflections at low, the hitching is still there. I think its the game's fault; it seems to be whenever you enter a new "sector" of the map and the game is pre-rendering. Despite how annoying it can be the game is still a lot of fun, but I would like to make it run fluid.
 
Ok, we've established that the game runs wonderfully for some people and not others. We need to narrow down WHY though. It does seem like it's loading something ahead of time or something like that too. I can't figure out why it feels like the framerates are so low though. For one thing, I forced vsync to off and checked framerates, and, at low settings, they were rather high. At highest possible settings (everything maxed out via advanced menu) framerates stay above 30 at all times, though I feel sick to my stomache for it (I've never been drunk before, but, the very second I saw it's effects at max I realized this is exactly what it would be like for a drunk person to drive at 100+MPH.) It's just like somehow INTERNALLY the game is at something around the area of 10 FPS (I've seen what 10 looks like in enough things that this isn't just a wild guess, it's defintiely somewhere between 10 and 15 when I watch things like nearby pillars just pop from one location to another like that) while the video card is just rendering the heck out of it. So, both CPU and video card are way above minimum specs for smooth gameplay (for that matter, they should be above maximum specs...) I just can't come up with a GOOD explanation for this.

I have one guess here. My memory is being reduced to about 75% efficiency rather than the 99% or so it's capable of due to the fact I'm forced to use a 2T memory command timing instead of 1T (motherboard issue.) Now, I'm not saying the 2T timing is the actual issue, but, I'm wondering if it could be related to memory not being "good enough." The harddrive isn't accessing much and I don't really see the light on whenever the game jerks plus I defragged the living daylights out of the drive anyway, so it's doing as well as game designers have a right to expect. One thing I did notice when I was testing various settings was when I raised the aperature, effectively decreasing available memory, the game got a lot jerkier. Anyway, I'm just guessing at it here. Since fraps says the game is running fine I can only think it's just having troubles internally processing or something.
 
Back
Top