Need file renamer to remove . and _ in file names

Q1DM6

Gawd
It will of course have the leave the period before the file type intact.
Suggestions? Many thanks.

I prefer to PowerShell script (included with Windows 7) such things, it gives greater control once you learn it and I like to keep the 3rd party software on my install to a minimal.

This is a PowerShell script that will do as you like:

Code:
dir $args -recurse | foreach{$FN=$_.basename.replace("_","").replace(".","")+$_.extension;rename-item -literalpath $_ $FN}

simply save it as renamer.ps1 or whatever you like, then run the command from powershell with files and directories you want processed added to the argument list, i.e.:

.\renamer.ps1 file_1.2.txt c:\files

etc. This version processes subdirectories as well, remove the "-recurse" to skip subdirectories.

Last edited:
Havent tried it myself, but others recommend 1-4a Renamer.

http://www.1-4a.com/rename/

Another vote for 1-4a. I have used this for batch renaming photos for quite some time and have been happy with it. Pretty robust and lots of options. I have found sometimes it is easier to make 2-3 passes with uber complicated changes of format rather than trying to get everything done in one pass.

Yea I know a lot of things are, but even so that doesn't stop something from at least theoretically installing something or doing things it shouldn't. Just a personal preference.

You're kidding right? You do actually USE your computer don't you? :confused:

You're kidding right? You do actually USE your computer don't you? :confused:

Rest easy, I do use my computer. I just don't download programs for something that takes me 1 minute and a single line of script to accomplish.

Back