• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need fan cutting expertise...

CorporalStorm

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
153
Ok this weekend i'm attempting my first mod.. I'm going to install a blow hole on the top of my Centurion 5 Case.. I got a rough draft of what it takes.. I just want to know if there are any tips.. This is what I know;

Cover entire top with masking tape (blue kind Lol)..

Trace "area to be" cut.. Whats the best thing to use? I'm doing an 80mm hole..

Using a 3" Hole Saw cutter (closest I can get to 80mm).. I was just going to mark the general area where it clears the CDR and PSU and just use my eye to center it and drill. Woudl that work because I havent a clue what I can use to make a perfect 80mm circle.. I figured after doing the hole I could use the fan to see how much I need to sand around to expand the hole. Going to use a dremel with a sanding bit to sand it out.

What are the chances of tearing up the paint or whatever they coat cases in? I assume thats what the masking of the entire top with tape is for?
 
I have done this dozens of times with a hole saw. I have never once screwed up the paint job.

Rather than a dremal that may dig into the metal even more, screwing up the perfect circle that the hole saw created. Use a slightly rounded metal file. Not the round pencil version, rather then 1/2 circle version (you will know what im talking about when you see it).

But if you do really screw up. That is what car door trim is for :p
 
i wont do too much in sanding down the cutout.. i plan to wrap vacuum hose (auto store) around it and glue it to the case.. i plan to use a sanding wheel to expand the hole to make sure its open enough for the 80mm fan..
 
Seeing as to how you'll only be 4mm short of the 80mm mark, it might be better to just use that 3" hole saw and not sand/file anything. Just my opinion - I would rather have a perfect hole that 4mm too small than a perfect size hole that's not perfectly round.
 
Back
Top