Need Expert Advice - Upgrading Headphones

MightyMatt

Gawd
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
532
I've had these Sony MDR-V600's for a couple years now - Amazon Link

The covering on the headband and ear cups has started to rapidly deteriorate and come apart. I'm looking to upgrade/ replace these and don't need much improvement in quality of sound (maybe just longevity of the headphone itself). I was thinking the Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones would be a suitable replacement (Amazon Link). What do you think?

What's important to me is:
1. Cost: $200 TOPS
2. Closed Headphones, not a headset (no mic)
3. Longevity: will still seem new in a year or two
4. Quality of sound: nothing "worse" sounding than the V600's
5. These will be used for music, gaming, and movies

THANKS a BUNCH for any ADVICE or INPUT! :)
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585281/review-brainwavz-hm5-a-new-neutral-champ

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/brainw...3.html?zenid=9710b94dd52593d4483dc38758925dfa

Good for everything, built like a fucking tank.

A direct quote relevant in light of the recent review of the 900 here,

"Everything about the HM5 screams high quality. The build quality is easily comparable to any high end headphone. The aesthetics are extremely simple, but beautiful to boot. These headphones are well worth the asking price for this alone, they make my Ad900 feel like a cheap toy."

I am getting some fostex tr50p modded soon. I have been waiting to try them for months and finally was able to swing a pair.They are supposed to have the shiznit when it comes to sound quality around $100. They are very durable too. They are supposed to have the shiznit when it comes to sound quality around $100. They are very durable too.

The HM5s will be next.
 
Last edited:
I would strongly prefer to be able to get the headphones off of Amazon or Newegg. Also, I've never had leather or cloth-like material on any of my headphones, just the cheapo covering over foam that eventually "rots" off :(

How would the leather or cloth react to extensive wearing? Would the leather "rot" or would the cloth get all dirty? I'm hoping for a solid few years out of my next pair. Hopefully these preferences can help a bit. THANKS! Keep the FEEDBACK coming :)

EDIT: Anyone else have any thoughts on the Audio Technica ATH-A700, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, and the Audio Technica ATH-A900 (all closed)?

I've honestly never heard much about that BRAND, so I never researched these headphones much. Thoughts, PLEASE, especially comparing them to the headphones in my original post?
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
I LOVE this review and it's only 2 days old? Wow, thanks for this (still reading it)! Is there a review out there for the ATH-M50 or ATH-A700 ($65 cheaper than the 900's)?

Edit: Found the 700 review...now I have to compare the 700's and 900's to a cost difference of $65. Thoughts on if it's worth $65, anyone?

Just responded to your question in another thread but I'll expand on my thoughts here. Owning both for awhile, the A700s for over 4 years now, the A700 is probably more fun but it lacks the clarity of the A900. The A700 bass feels a little stronger to me without EQ but it's more boomy and can occasionally muddy up the mids where that doesn't happen on the A900s.

Personally I love both headphones and while I think the $65 between the two more than justifies upgrading to the A900s I think it depends more on what your source is. With my old X-Fi Titanium Pro I would not see the benefit of the A900 vs. the A700, however on my STX, FiiO E10 or Little Dot Mk III it's very clear to me.
 
Would the ATH-M50's and ATH-A900's have a noticeable, better difference in sound than the ATH-A700's, while using a not-so-great sound card (see siggy)?

I use an ancient Audigy 2 ZS sound card, then Logitech Z-5300 5.1 Surround System, where I plug my headphones into a jack on it's controller
l23-6264-callouta.jpg


I enjoy the convenience of going from 5.1 to headphones in a split second. Maybe going through the Logitech system hinders the quality of sound?

Either way I'm definitely getting new headphones (leaning towards Audio Technica), but I STILL NEED YOUR HELP, as I am unsure if I should go low-end (700's) or higher end (M50's or 900's), and what's worth it if I don't upgrade my sound system for a while...That's another thread.
 
I think you'll be happy with any of the three to be honest. I think the M50 will be the closest to your last pair, the V600s, and the other two will have a new sound for you.

As for 700 vs. 900 I would say if you're not planning on upgrading your source for awhile I would stick with the 700s simply because they have a more fun sound signature and don't reveal lower source material quite as easily as the 900s.
 
dude.

the first and probably the most important part of your audio is the source.

yours sucks. sorry

Upgrade that first then worry about the headphones. Getting away from your 5.1 switch is something I don't want to bother with but at the very least get a newer asus soundcard.

I wish that you could hear my Fostex T50RPs, They would blow your mind. Much easier to convince someone when you can show them the difference. GL
 
dude.

the first and probably the most important part of your audio is the source.

yours sucks. sorry

I know, I know...I've been meaning to upgrade, but didn't want to talk about it in this thread...here goes ;)

How about the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD? Only $140 on Amazon. My only problem with upgrading the card is that I'm not sure if it'll work with my Asus p5Q-E mobo. I'm not looking to upgrade my whole system, but the sound card is from my very first Dell (ugh) comp, haha. For headphones, though, I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technica 700's, M50's, or the 900's, so if you could take that into account, I'd appreciate it.

Are people willing to help me out with a sound card that will work well with my mobo and these headphones? I love Creative's reputation. I'm mostly worried about plugging the headphones in the way back of my tower and if I'll have any compatibility issues with my 5.1 speakers or other hardware.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Want something that will really LAST? Go for the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro. These things are made to last a long time and if the pads or headrest ever rot out on you they are easily replaceable. I've had my pair for about 2-3 years now and haven't had any issues with the pads falling apart.

To quote a amazon review on the DT770 Pro:
As a radio professional, I demand headphones that are going to give faithful sound reproduction with solid construction. You're putting them on and taking them off every four minutes, and have a cord to walk around and try not to trip over for your other tasks. No matter how religious I've always been about being gentle with them, until I tried Beyer-Dymanics, every single pair I've ever owned has let me down within ten months. Either the wiring cuts out on an ear, and/or a studio mishap sends parts flying.

I've owned my DT770s for over five years. Best investment I've ever made, as headphones go

Also, I started out with the v600's and while they were ok when I got them they did dry rot just like yours did. I replaced them with the sennheiser HD280's, however the headband plastic broke soon after I got them. They looked bad but they still were functionally in good working order. They lasted me about 2 years before I got my DT880's, but they were too analytical sounding for most of what I listen to. I still have them and bring them out when I want to get down and dirty with a mix to hear every detail, but the DT770 is my go to headphone. I don't miss the HD280s at all.
 
Last edited:
Naw, the $30 Asus will be a pretty big improvement.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Channel-Sound-Card-XONAR_DG/dp/tags-on-product/B0045JHJSS

I have had every major headphone out plus midded versions. For example, I have had the stock version of the 770 plus at least 4 different types of modified ones from headphile. They are known as Darth Beyers

Good yes, not great though. Too much bass and not enough meat in the middle. A beyer Dt880 or Denon D2000 is a big jump from the AD700.

However, get a better soundcard then see if you still want new headphones. The change in source may just be enough of an upgrade for you.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh man, another headphone recommendation...what to do?! I do like that cloth-like material on the cans.

That Asus sound card is mighty cheap, but with great reviews. Seems like a less expensive card like that and nice headphones are what I'm looking for. NOW, what are the issues with plugging headphones into my Logitech 5.1 system versus directly into the sound card? If the headphones were permanently plugged into the sound card, would Asus have a program to switch between the 5.1 and the headphones?

Would there be a big difference between the A700 and A900 with this XONAR_DG sound card? Any thoughts on the predominate headphones mentioned in this thread and this soundcard?

Thanks for all the help thus far, you guys on this board are amazing :)

Edit:
Thanks again for going back and adding more comments. You guys have no idea how much of a help you really are.

However, get a better soundcard then see if you still want new headphones. The change in source may just be enough of an upgrade for you.
I'll promise to purchase a new sound card with the headphone purchase. My Sony V600's are rapidly deteriorating ;)
 
However, get a better soundcard then see if you still want new headphones. The change in source may just be enough of an upgrade for you.

I can't disagree with this too much unless the majority of your source material is lower than 256kbps or so. At that point you're probably going to love us for recommending hardware that will let you know just how much the music is compressed :D
 
You can hit up audiophile forums were someone will tell you that they can notice the difference in audio quality based on the USB port they have there external DAC plugged into on there PC even if the bit rates are exactly the same :rolleyes:

For the vast majority of people (lets say 95 percent) you won't be able to tell the difference between a 320kbps MP3 or .FLAC or a 96/24-bit .FLAC , the real objectives you want in headphones is good clean sound , a nice open sound stage so it doesn't sound like you are listening to a band in a bathroom and detailed bass.

There are many great headphones that will fit the bill but don't stress about it too much , go do a little research in your price range and see what comes up.

In your case I recommend the ATH-M50's.
 
Okay, I've been doing research and this is where I'm at:

Sound Card: ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG - $29.99
Mic: Zalman Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone - $9.06
Headphones: Options:
1. Audio Technica ATH-A700 - $121.25
2. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - $159.00
3. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 - $199.99

So $160.30, 198.05, or 239.04 total...I already have some Z-5300e 5.1 speakers ;)

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations between these options? My thoughts are the mic and sound card are cheap enough, with great returns for what you're paying. I love the cloth on the DT 770's ear cups, and that comfort, but the audio-technica's have great reviews and are considerably less.

For the cost differences, is there a good or bad jump between those 3 headphones?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
IMO the M50s and the 770s are a slightly higher quality headphone than the A700 and while I personally like them more I'd have to say the others are a step up.
 
I ordered the Zalman mic and the Asus Xonar DG. I still need to decide what headphones. The reason I didn't want a headset was because I didn't want a mic on my head all the time, when I just want to watch a movie, listen to music, etc. Again, I do appreciate the input from all of you. Any last minute recommendations on headphones < $200? Also, does plugging in the headphones into the 5.1 surround audio input jack dum down the quality of the headphone sound? What's the best place for headphones to be plugged in if you also use speakers?
 
Any last minute recommendations on headphones < $200? Also, does plugging in the headphones into the 5.1 surround audio input jack dum down the quality of the headphone sound? What's the best place for headphones to be plugged in if you also use speakers?
I'm still standing by my recommendation for the beyerdynamic dt770. They are the best sub $200 pair of headphones I've listened to/owned.

Depends solely on the audio card itself. Some have enough drive to power a set of headphones, others don't. In which case you'll need a decent headphone amplifier. some speaker systems also have a headphone output, most off the shelf computer speakers are so so at best in that regard. It's a case of it might work ok or it might not work well at all.
 
I'm still standing by my recommendation for the beyerdynamic dt770. They are the best sub $200 pair of headphones I've listened to/owned.

Depends solely on the audio card itself. Some have enough drive to power a set of headphones, others don't. In which case you'll need a decent headphone amplifier. some speaker systems also have a headphone output, most off the shelf computer speakers are so so at best in that regard. It's a case of it might work ok or it might not work well at all.

They are unbalanced. Way too much bass that covers up some of the mids and the highs are not the greatest. For $200 new? No. I would say they are well made, do very well when modified, but stock? No. Sorry, I prefer my Samson SR850s to a stock 770. That is at 1/4th price new almost btw.

Now, find some used Darth Beyers on headfi and then we have a conversation. Those are FUN headphones.
 
They are unbalanced. Way too much bass that covers up some of the mids and the highs are not the greatest. For $200 new? No. I would say they are well made, do very well when modified, but stock? No. Sorry, I prefer my Samson SR850s to a stock 770. That is at 1/4th price new almost btw.

Now, find some used Darth Beyers on headfi and then we have a conversation. Those are FUN headphones.

Have to agree , the DT 770's are not great at all. Mids are a total mess , treble is a mixed bag and bass is far to boomy with no detail even well amped.

Only the DT 880 pro 600ohm on up does Beyerdynamic really shine with there full size cans in stock form.
 
See, these are the comments that I needed! Since I'm not into modifying brand new cans, you guys have provided valuable input that has convinced me not to spend $200 on DT770's. Thanks guys ! :)

Now the search continues. Are there headphones that would be optimal to go along with the ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR DG?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's all personal preference once you clear out the low quality junk. I wouldn't rag on the DT 770s quite as hard as the others but they aren't my first choice in your price range either.

You might look into the V-Moda LP Crossfade as well as the other cans we've already mentioned. I haven't personally auditioned them but I've heard nothing but praise for them so far in their price range. They're certainly not going to be as clear as the M50s or even the A700/A900 but they'll have a much more fun sound signature and be more articulate than the DT 770s and you can get them for as little as $100 new.
 
Last edited:
They are unbalanced. Way too much bass that covers up some of the mids and the highs are not the greatest. For $200 new? No. I would say they are well made, do very well when modified, but stock? No. Sorry, I prefer my Samson SR850s to a stock 770. That is at 1/4th price new almost btw.

Now, find some used Darth Beyers on headfi and then we have a conversation. Those are FUN headphones.
I've always wanted to try out a pair of Darth Beyers. Those always fascinated me. I guess I got a good pair of DT770 80ohm. To my ears they sound great. I did buy a pair of DT770's at guitar center a few years before buying my current pair and I agree, back then they sounded horrible! very boomy and I think they were defective because I heard some rattling coming from them :eek:
I returned my first pair because of those issues.

I then bought the DT880 250ohm. While they are good cans they didn't offer the umph I was after. at least not before the DAC/headphone amp I got. They are very flat and analytical sounding. That said getting the amp really helped the low end. I'm actually listening to them as I type this. And this is the first time I've pulled them out of my drawer in a long time. They sound very tight and defined in the low end. Low end is actually much better then I remember. Jusssst enough punch without going boomy.

Have to agree , the DT 770's are not great at all. Mids are a total mess , treble is a mixed bag and bass is far to boomy with no detail even well amped.

Only the DT 880 pro 600ohm on up does Beyerdynamic really shine with there full size cans in stock form.
I don't agree with that assessment of the DT770's. However, with the first set I bought I could agree with your description. I think that Beyerdymanic may have retooled and made them better. The mids and highs of the DT770's that I have are similar to the DT880's that I also own. The bass is the only real solid difference between the two beyers that I own. The DT770's are EPIC when it comes to deep bass that you can feel :D Great can's for the electronic music I sometimes listen to.

To put it a little differently:
The DT880 250ohms are like a set of very good studio monitors. Very analytical sounding while still also offering up enough bass that you can hear. Very tight well defined cans from top to bottom

The DT770 80ohms are much like the DT880's from lower mids up to highs. The lowend on the DT770's are like someone added a high end corner loaded subwoofer to the mix. Some people might actually be looking for this kind of sound. Great for gaming too with lots of crashes and booms :D

I think the frequncy responce curves from headphone.com back this up:
graphCompare.php
 
I own the 770 , 990 (600 Ohm edition) and I've used the 880's and while we can agree to disagree , modded phones kinda throw a wrench into the whole opinion on our part. Modded cans can far exceed there stock counter parts.

I'm sticking with my guns though the 770's while have nice bass its got little detail and it overwhelms the soundstage. Sometimes a flat and even sound stage can really provide a better atmosphere for listener instead of a bass attack kind of effect.

I mean look at Dr.Dre Beats .. headphones sold to the public as "high quality" when all they are is bass heavy muddy messes. I'm not implying that 770's aren't better than that garbage because they surely are but I just wouldn't personally recommend the 770's for $200 or even close to that.
 
They are unbalanced. Way too much bass that covers up some of the mids and the highs are not the greatest. For $200 new? No. I would say they are well made, do very well when modified, but stock? No. Sorry, I prefer my Samson SR850s to a stock 770. That is at 1/4th price new almost btw.

Now, find some used Darth Beyers on headfi and then we have a conversation. Those are FUN headphones.
Hey spaceman! How are those SR850 cans for gaming? I returned my DT900/600 and am considering the ATH-A900, but have seen a lot of good comments on that SR850. If I could get some good gaming performance for $50 instead of closer to $200, I'd call that a good deal.
 
What is the material on the ATH-M50 ear cups? From what I can tell, it's fake leather, but not the apt-to-rot, and peel, pleather. Am I right?

Since I'm leaning towards the M50's as my final choice, has anyone personally experienced how comfortable they are over a long period of time, or how long until the ear cups start to break down? At this point any comments from you guys about durability and comfort level for the headphones listed would be very beneficial. :)

Edit: I love the idea of cloth ear cups, but since the DT 770's are $200 and not that favored here, I'm thinking of avoiding those. I could still go with the ATH-A700's (with replacement cups), but am not sure. I'm hoping to make my final purchase through Amazon or Newegg, too. Thanks again guys for all the great ideas and input so far, but please help me with this last step!
 
Last edited:
See, these are the comments that I needed! Since I'm not into modifying brand new cans, you guys have provided valuable input that has convinced me not to spend $200 on DT770's. Thanks guys ! :)

Now the search continues. Are there headphones that would be optimal to go along with the ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR DG?

I'm using the DG with a pair of Sony MDR-V6 cans. Maybe not optimal, but I picked them up for around $70 at Thanksgiving time, and am very happy with them.

Both these cans and the MDR-7506's can be fitted with the Beyerdynamic velour ear pads ($20 at B&H) that make them better for longer periods of use, especially in warmer weather.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm using the DG with a pair of Sony MDR-V6 cans. Maybe not optimal, but I picked them up for around $70 at Thanksgiving time, and am very happy with them.

Both these cans and the MDR-7506's can be fitted with the Beyerdynamic velour ear pads ($20 at B&H) that make them better for longer periods of use, especially in warmer weather.

Any ideas on where to get a replacement headband for Sony MDR-V600's?

Also what do people think of Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour ear pads on Audio-Technica ATH-M50's? Recipe for success? Anyone here ever do it?

There are some positive reviews of doing this on Amazon and B&H, but I wanted to get your guys' opinion. Are these good pads to use if you want velour (no more sweaty ears) and not pleather? Will they mess up a M50's sound?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey spaceman! How are those SR850 cans for gaming? I returned my DT900/600 and am considering the ATH-A900, but have seen a lot of good comments on that SR850. If I could get some good gaming performance for $50 instead of closer to $200, I'd call that a good deal.

Good enough not to piss me off and very comfortable once you fix the pleather pad situation and remove the stupid ass speaker blanket and the piece of cardboard meant to adjust the sound? It doesn't help. Makes the bone stock 850 sound muffled and feel overly warm.

Sound stage is not as large as the ad700 but it sounds a lot like a poor mans darth beyer? I guess that is the only way to put it. Bass is good, soundstage and directional sound are good. I like my 5.1 speakers better but do not mind switching to the SR850s when I need to. For $50? Worth a try.

They are super lightweight btw. Very good for long usage if the clamping force doesn't bother you.
 
Alot of people do this type of mod for various headphones and it works well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/414574/velour-felt-pads-for-ath-m50/255

So I'll read through their 18 page thread on this, but one question. Are "DT 250" velour pads the same thing as "DT 200" velour pads? I think they are, but I could be wrong, and judging by the raving reviews of doing this on head-fi, I'm thinking M50's and velour would change my world. :cool:

Also, are the velour pads that I linked the best ones for the job, or would something along the lines of Beyerdynamic DT880/ DT990 velour ear pads be feasible?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So I'll read through their 18 page thread on this, but one question. Are "DT 250" velour pads the same thing as "DT 200" velour pads? I think they are, but I could be wrong, and judging by the raving reviews of doing this on head-fi, I'm thinking M50's and velour would change my world. :cool:

That I do not personally know, but I was referring more to the sock mod :) Get you a nice thin pair that feel good and don't look back IMO.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The M50s are not much better than the SR850s. The guy I bought my 850s from sold his M50s first after doing a review comparing the two. Just fyi. The AT M50 is a good headphone, just priced a bit high when you can get as good for half the price.

btw I think the 770s might be improved. I will have to see if I can get a loaner from headfi and check them out. The last loaner I tried was the Darth Beyer V4 or terminator. That is a fun ass gaming headphone based on the newer 770. It seemed to be bigger and more balanced sounding than the past bass cannons.
 
I bought some DT 200/250 velour pads ($20) to throw on any new headphones that I get, or at least my old Sony V600's. This way, at least until I get some new headphones, I'll have a decent set to use. Anyone want to confirm or deny any suggestions in this thread as being good or bad? I really don't need new ideas, since I'm looking for what the majority of you guys on a budget use and I feel like most of those headphones are listed in this thread. Thoughts? Please :)

The headphones must be closed, durable, works good with a Xonar DG, and less than $200. They also must be better than V600's with new velour pads ;)
 
Back
Top