Need disc imaging software advice

libbykino

n00b
Posted this in the data storage forums, but perhaps it is more suited for this forum considering it's more of a software problem...

I'm installing a new HD into a raid array this weekend, so I'm going to need to backup my entire boot drive and then restore it to the new array after I've wiped the old drive and set everything up.

I'm looking for software that will do this for me, and I was led to Acronis True Image which will certainly do what I need, but I have no need for all of the other features it comes with and that I must pay for. Is there free software that will accomplish the same thing? I'm running Windows 7 Professional, and I know it's capable of making its own backup files, but to be honest I don't really trust those files since I'm not entirely sure what is and is not being backed up. Any suggestions?

If you have a quality hardware RAID controller it should be supported by Clonezilla. Otherwise Acronis is a good option because it makes a disc that boots into Windows with the correct drivers.

If your hard drives are western digital the program is free on there web page.

If you have hardware raid controller I second clonezilla. It works great, I use it all the time, its fast and simple to use

Back