• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need decent closed headphones

Craftish

Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Messages
675
I have a nice setup for music (amped HD580's) which I generally use for playing games as well when I'm at home. I also go to a lot of big LANs and I'm looking for some closed headphones since the 580's let in a lot of outside sounds at these noisy tournaments. These cans will be running unamped and hooked up to whatever source the tournament machines have (usually just onboard). I was considering the HD280's, but I was turned off by a lot of reviews on Amazon that said the headband was prone to cracking; I'd like something durable since they need to survive the trip to the tournament, etc.. I do not need a microphone, and I don't want something with built in USB sound; I'm not looking for a headset, just a good, comfortable pair of closed headphones. I don't see myself needing to spend more than $100 to accomplish this.
 
You may find this link useful:

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/noisereductionreview.htm

In addition to those, you might look at the Shure E2c (cheaper than the E3c in the article- about $100) and some of the other random inexpensive canalphones around. Don't forget the cheap Sony EX51LP mentioned in that article. It's $30. You can probably get a decent set for well under half of what those E2cs cost. They probably won't sound as good, but as long as they fit well the noise blocking will be there. With canalphones, the noise blocking comes from wearing "earplugs with speakers in them" rather than active cancellation. They're supposed to be better at blocking random sound, while the active cancellation does a better job of tuning out steady, droning sound (say, jet engines, Tornado fans, etc.)
 
Seinnheiser HD497's are nice, they've got great sound. I dont think they block out TOO much noise though
 
I'd still get the HD280's. A buddy of mine has them (I have the HD600's) they are really good, for the price. his haven't started to crack yet, but because they are a folding headphone...the band is not as strong as others.
 
Craftish said:
I have a nice setup for music (amped HD580's) which I generally use for playing games as well when I'm at home. I also go to a lot of big LANs and I'm looking for some closed headphones since the 580's let in a lot of outside sounds at these noisy tournaments. These cans will be running unamped and hooked up to whatever source the tournament machines have (usually just onboard). I was considering the HD280's, but I was turned off by a lot of reviews on Amazon that said the headband was prone to cracking; I'd like something durable since they need to survive the trip to the tournament, etc.. I do not need a microphone, and I don't want something with built in USB sound; I'm not looking for a headset, just a good, comfortable pair of closed headphones. I don't see myself needing to spend more than $100 to accomplish this.

I've been using HD 280s for a couple of years now, and I haven't had any structural problems. That said, they don't see much in the way of rough treatment/transport, and I've never been entirely convinced that they don't "need" an amp, so I've always plugged them into something that can provide a little more juice, there's definately a little more definition with some extra power.

I've also had a set of Senn pc150s, and they were pretty good (mic too) and I'd have no problem recommending them for gaming purposes, I think they've been replaced by the pc160s, but I haven't heard them.

If you're worried about physical rough and tumble, the HD25s are apparently pretty much indestructable, have good isolation, and sound nice, I've been looking at those for portable use, they might be too expensive though.
 
I'm not really interested in canalphones, and I had some PC150's but they weren't comfortable enough for my tastes. Can anyone else with the 280 Pro's weigh in on their durability?
 
The v6's are nice. They are pretty durable and fold up into a tight ball. I've never tried, but I think they would take a pretty good beating. It's about $70 new and maybe a bit cheaper with a refurb. Plus if the fake leather bothers you, just buy a set of beyer dt250 pads for about $25 shipped and mod them.
 
I just got the HD-280's brand new for $70 on Ebay, and they are awesome. The only way that you are going to get cracking is if you do not treat them very well. They are a very sturdy build with good all around sound quality. You will be very happy with them if you take your time and find a good deal. I got a pair that were brand new, still in the package on Ebay, so just look around. You will be very happy with these cans.
 
Back
Top