• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Cooling Advice

zetachi

Gawd
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
806
I have an EPOX 9NDA3J MOBO and just ordered an Opteron 144 CPU. Now I need some suggestions on a CPU cooler. I've heard and read much and am norrowed down to the Big Typhoon (not sure if it will fit my MOBO) Xp-90 XP 120 or an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64.

Anyone have any experience with this mobbo and any of these?

All opinions wanted/welcome.

Thanks
 
Nothing but good things on the XP. I have a Zalman 7700 and it's nice. I also like the fact I can use it on a 775. Either one i believe is good. I dunno about the XP but I know the Zalman blows air all around it.
 
the xp90 and the artic freezer 64 would fit with ease but i would not recommend using the artic freezer 64 on that mobo due to the socket's orientation which would face the fan blowing upwards while you would want it blowing towards the rear exhaust fan instead, the xp120 would fit the motherboard but would block the first ram slot and the big typhoon i think should be fine esp. since it is a tower cooler but be sure to measure your case since this heatsink is about 15cm tall

all are great coolers but heres how i would rate them based on how they cool

big typhoon > xp120 > xp90 > artic freezer 64
 
If you plan on overclocking, stay away from the freezer64. It does an admiral job at stock speeds though and is damn near silent. Another hsf that I've had great success with is the Scythe Ninja. Even when I ran it with only 1 120mm fan it keep my cpu around 40c load @ 2.8ghz.
 
oh yeea one more thing....remember to post pics of it in the thread in my sig :p i wanna see sum good shots! :D
 
Back
Top