Need Clarification Prior To My WHS Installation

Certain

Limp Gawd
I currently have a custom box with FreeNas on it that I'm about to change over to WHS. I don't have a problem with FreeNas but this is all just experimentation for me so now I want to play around with WHS. My plan was to take a hdd and just install WHS to it and make that the boot disk. This disk is about 160 gigs. Then while researching a few WHS related topics, I ran into this video, starting at 3:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFVzAlIoVLI

He is talking about the file migrating as the drive fills up and you don't want to install WHS to a small drive because of it. Thats what I want clarification on from the experience WHS users in here. Is that the case? Was it once the case but because of updates no longer the case, etc.

Initially I was unaware that WHS pooled the drives which kinda sounds like the ZFS pools from the FreeNas setup. How does that work in WHS? Does it take say a 500 mb video and put half of that video on one drive and the other half on another? With WHS are you in a situation where if one drive fails, it could mess up data on other drives because those other drives are sharing pieces of files with the failed drive?

I think I have a pretty good grasp on the whole setup, but was just looking for feedback from some more experienced users. I'm going through with the build tonight so this is just last minute prep.

there's a WHS FAQ in the Data Storage Systems sub-forum.
if the answers aren't there, I'm sure you would find them in one of the many threads about WHS in that sub-forum.

Good heavens. There's tons of info in that subforum. I did a search on this subforum and have just been reading various threads trying to suck in as much info as possible. Didn't know that faq was in another forum. Good looking out.

Back