• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need card within the 150$ range

Lyric Suite

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 19, 2010
Messages
273
Need to replace my Geforce 7800 GT. Right now i'm opting for something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125309

The problem is that i just read that ATI cards don't have a scaling option in their drivers. I play a crap load of older games, i mean, i lot, and the Nvidia scaling has been a life saver to deal with older game on my widescreen monitor. The problem is that right now Nvidia cards appear to be relatively expensive. Did ATI ever got around including a scaling option in their drivers or do i have to stick with Nvidia?
 
Last edited:
I'm also looking for card(s) in same price range but my needs are for a Gaming cafe.
 
Need to replace my Geforce 7800 GT. Right now i'm opting for something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125309

The problem is that i just read that ATI cards don't have a scaling option in their drivers. I play a crap load of older games, i mean, i lot, and the Nvidia scaling has been a life saver to deal with older game on my widescreen monitor. The problem is that right now Nvidia cards appear to be relatively expensive. Did ATI ever got around including a scaling option in their drivers or do i have to stick with Nvidia?

Do better research.

GPU-68_Image3.JPG
 
Last edited:
none of the nvidia cards in that price range use the 40nm manufacturing, unless something came out recently? the ati 5xxx series will run cooler and quieter, and are dx11 compliant.
 
They're the same price pretty much everywhere I've looked, although you can buy from tigerdirect and get bing cashback to save some money. I'd go with XFX as well for warranty purposes.
 
Definitely the 5770. Note that you can't select the scaling mode unless you change to a non-native resolution (e.g. if your monitor is 1680x1050, you must change to something else before you can select "Maintain Aspect Ratio").

Finding the setting is also a bit tricky - you need to go to "Desktops and Displays", then select the little black arrow on the appropriate display in the "Please select a display" section, then choose "Configure". It's pretty stupidly designed.
 
I am looking at the 5770 for my home rig as well. Deus Ex for $2.50 here I come!
 
Was the 5770 downclocking mid game problem ever fixed, if not i'd never recommend a 5770, had several friends have that issue a few months back, otherwise its an incredible card for the price
 
5770 is almost at part with a gtx 260 if that helps, so it is a substantial increase from a 9800gtx from what i know
 
I would get a used gtx 280 for around that price. but the xfx 5770 is solid with x2 warranty.
 
Was the 5770 downclocking mid game problem ever fixed, if not i'd never recommend a 5770, had several friends have that issue a few months back, otherwise its an incredible card for the price

I've built over 2 dozen custom PCs for clients using several different brands of HD 5770s (512MB and 1GB varieties) since they were released and none have had that issue. So I'm going to call your alarmist bullshit for what it is until you provide proof.
 
I've built over 2 dozen custom PCs for clients using several different brands of HD 5770s (512MB and 1GB varieties) since they were released and none have had that issue. So I'm going to call your alarmist bullshit for what it is until you provide proof.

What rock have you been living under? I've personally come across the problem and had it appear countless times in the live chat (impossible to link to specific conversations) on newegg's help forums
 
Your experience will vary, but the Radeon 5770 is the best new video card at the $150 pricepoint until Nvidia releases something to compete. The GTX 465 is FAIL in that regard.
 
I just replaced the same card your thinking of buying.. It has bottleneck issues with the 128-bit memory interface.. it ran crysis 2 fine but lagged out on NWN2 full out.. Its a good card but there is so many other much nicer dx11 cards out there look around before you buy this..
 
I've got one in my HTPC but haven't pushed any games yet since I swaped cards. When it first came out the 5770 was about equal to a 4870, I'm sure it's getting closer to 4890 speeds by now with the driver updates.
 
Back
Top