Need black PCI64 sockets - who makes them?

AreEss

2[H]4U
Today's stumper from hell.

System I'm getting started on. I'm replacing components on the motherboard. This inclues four PCI64/66 slots and an AGPPro slot.

Not a big deal normally. I've had broken PCI64/66 slots replaced before, the person doing it does top notch work. The problem is that I can't find anyone who makes said slots in black. Only white, green and natural. And I absolutely must have black.

Anyone know where I might find these? They're usually listed as 184 connector or 92 dual. I've checked DigiKey and Mouser to no avail, also Amp and Molex.

They're probably a special order. You'll probably have to call Sullins, the one of the makers of PCI slots, and talk to one of their sales reps to see what you can get.

AreEss said:
Today's stumper from hell.

System I'm getting started on. I'm replacing components on the motherboard. This inclues four PCI64/66 slots and an AGPPro slot.

Not a big deal normally. I've had broken PCI64/66 slots replaced before, the person doing it does top notch work. The problem is that I can't find anyone who makes said slots in black. Only white, green and natural. And I absolutely must have black.

Anyone know where I might find these? They're usually listed as 184 connector or 92 dual. I've checked DigiKey and Mouser to no avail, also Amp and Molex.

Just curious--have you considered vinyl dye? I don't know whether it would work on the type of plastic used for the slots, or how good it would look when finished, but you might consider it.

that would be really hard to do but might be the only other solution than special ordering them

Whatsisname said:
They're probably a special order. You'll probably have to call Sullins, the one of the makers of PCI slots, and talk to one of their sales reps to see what you can get.

Whatsisname gets the gold star!

I tracked down Sullins and sent them off an email. They actually already have these. Took me a minutes or two to realize why; Intel boards that used to use black PCI64/66 sockets with this keying. DUH.

Just waiting on a quote now. :)

Have you already faced the problem of desoldering the PCI slots?

just curious, why is it so important your PCI slots be black?

xonik said:
Have you already faced the problem of desoldering the PCI slots?

Yes. I have a professional doing it for me, along with the capacitors (which are fucking RUBYCON! ARGH!)

grjr said:
just curious, why is it so important your PCI slots be black?

Because I'm anal retenative.
No. Really. I am beyond picky about how one of these systems looks. When I build a showpiece system, I do not throw flashy lights and Dremel wheels at it. I do things the right way, and I pay attention to every single detail. 'Natural' colored PCI slots in a black and copper system? No. Not gonna fly. I can accept green PCB; it still says 'I mean BUSINESS, not flash in the pan.' But offwhite PCI slots? No. Exposed steel? Nope. Not-quite-same-length 24 pin harness? NO!
Like I said. Anal retenative.

Cool :) So what kind of caps are you going to put on the board nichicon?

grjr said:
Cool :) So what kind of caps are you going to put on the board nichicon?

Wrong colors. Nichicon is blue-green. I was going to use Cornell-Dublier blacks but can't fit them in. So it's almost certainly going to be Panasonic ECGs. Black and gold, close enough!

And no, those are JPCONs which are even worse. Rubycons are just crappy all around; voltage has never been 100% on the board because they're just flat out cheap shitty caps.

Back