Need bigger SSD "soon" Any point to wating a few months to buy?

x509

2[H]4U
My system has a 240 GB SSD for Programs and Data (separate partitions) but I'm running out of space. I'd like to upgrade this drive to 512 GB or even 1 TB, "soon." If I wait a few months, will prices on SSD drop. Will a new generation of technology improve performance and drive down prices?

Thanks

Just buy now. SSDs are already so fast you won't even notice the small improvements that MIGHT happen in the next 3 to 6 months. Are you going to notice that you app loads in 2.3 sec vs 2.45 sec? And even if there are big jumps (doubtful) the price will jump also.

Just get the 1 TB so you'll be set for space for a while. Just pick up a Samsung 850 pro (or some other "top dog" SSD) and know that you'll be enjoying top performance for a few years. And enjoy. THEN in 2-3 years pick up the truly "next generation" PCIe SSD or whatever.

NMVe drives are the only drives that will show a noticeable difference in day to day use but you need to be able to support them. If you can't support them then no worries and just buy a good SSD. If you got time to wait just put a price watch in at camelcamelcamel.com and slickdeals.net

Always get a larger than you need drive because it is always going to cost you more in time and money trying to save those few extra dollars with shuffling programs or finding out 1 or 2 years later your itching to buy another drive solely due to space. I did that and i refuse to do that a second time. Live and learn right?

Also I'll refer you to this IBM study since people for whatever reason don't realize it has existed for a long time and that time adds up and its more than just time but also patience.

Granted this study doesn't quite apply here but the basic principles still apply in regards to response times.

Well scratch that. The IBM page doesn't load. basically there is an exponential increase in user actions as you reach sub second responses. I posted about it in another thread,

NMVe drives are the only drives that will show a noticeable difference in day to day use but you need to be able to support them. If you can't support them then no worries and just buy a good SSD. If you got time to wait just put a price watch in at camelcamelcamel.com and slickdeals.net

Always get a larger than you need drive because it is always going to cost you more in time and money trying to save those few extra dollars with shuffling programs or finding out 1 or 2 years later your itching to buy another drive solely due to space. I did that and i refuse to do that a second time. Live and learn right?

Also I'll refer you to this IBM study since people for whatever reason don't realize it has existed for a long time and that time adds up and its more than just time but also patience.

Granted this study doesn't quite apply here but the basic principles still apply in regards to response times.

Well scratch that. The IBM page doesn't load. basically there is an exponential increase in user actions as you reach sub second responses. I posted about it in another thread,

A thank you to everyone who replied. You have convinced me that I should spend some extra $$$ to get a 1 TB drive instead of 512 GB. I could see myself growing pretty quickly into a 512 GB drive, so 1 TB gives me some headroom.

My current desktop motherboard is an X79 chipset ASUS, per my sig. NMVe definitely not supported, or else I would need a new adapter.

so the final question is whether you want a one that has good endurance and slightly faster performance or save 50-100 bucks. You can get the Sandisk Extreme Pro for $430 (assuming your in the US) or you can get one of the crucial drives like the M500/550 or MX200 for 330 give or take on sale. I would not touch the BX line personally.

The question really comes down to endurance/consistency to me. I do daily Malware byte scans and AV scans and when those run they can take a long time because i can everything possible while i do work on my computer. I can have some serious slow issues when those run even with my Sandisk extreme pro, which has the highest endurance out of all drives (the samsung 850 pro is about the same depending on the review) so if you don't do anything overkill that murders your drive like i do than you should be good. I also so like 300GB reads in a day with 100GB writes so i thrash my drive according to smart. If you don't need high endurnace/consistency go with the crucial line to save the few bucks.

i personally am getting an intel 750 soon so i can't wait to test that 1.2TB beast.

I've used 850 pros and many crucial drives and I'd go with the crucials. The 850 benches higher, but there's no perceptible difference when using them.

Intel and Micron will have 3D memory cell chips out in Q3/Q4 which are going to be huge capacities at "market disruptive" pricing according to Intel. Even if you don't go the Intel route, simply the changes in pricing across the market should benefit everyone.

I wouldn't purchase a large capacity SATA drive just yet unless you REALLY needed it.

Intel and Micron will have 3D memory cell chips out in Q3/Q4 which are going to be huge capacities at "market disruptive" pricing according to Intel. Even if you don't go the Intel route, simply the changes in pricing across the market should benefit everyone.

any acrticles or reports on that? first i have heard about this as in those coming in a matter of half a year

any acrticles or reports on that? first i have heard about this as in those coming in a matter of half a year

There have been several reports of 3D flash coming soon from Micron (you can easily find them if you google it).

But I never heard an Intel or Micron official claim that the prices of flash would decrease drastically in the near future. If such a claim was made, it was either off the record or commentary from an overly enthusiastic journalist.

I have had a 480gb and 240gb SSD for ~3 years now, and have yet to exceed 400gb worth of programs. My question is what are you doing that requires 1tb worth of SSD storage space if cost is a concern? I can see 480gb for keeping more than a few games on a SSD, but not much more than that. Work related... cost shouldn't even be a concern.

There have been several reports of 3D flash coming soon from Micron (you can easily find them if you google it).

But I never heard an Intel or Micron official claim that the prices of flash would decrease drastically in the near future. If such a claim was made, it was either off the record or commentary from an overly enthusiastic journalist.

i knew soon but didn't know of any reports says there is a relevant/dramatic change coming to the SSD market in 2015. I figured big changes were coming 2016 because i haven't seen any noteworthy press releases/news articles about it

I have had a 480gb and 240gb SSD for ~3 years now, and have yet to exceed 400gb worth of programs. My question is what are you doing that requires 1tb worth of SSD storage space if cost is a concern? I can see 480gb for keeping more than a few games on a SSD, but not much more than that. Work related... cost shouldn't even be a concern.

480GB turns into like 360 after OP and that isn't crap once you count OS, programs, Dropbox, a few games, Photoshop, and some other large data programs. If you actually had 500GB it wouldn't be bad but you don't. A 960GB drive is only 720 GB and thats got a nice bit of wiggly room for some extra games and data files you use a lot but get too annoyed with the marry go round of data files.

My 480gb SSD has 447 GB available to the OS. 480 are generally 512gb SSDs with overprovisioning.

Dropbox should be on a spinner, if cost per GB was a concern. Not everyone uses Photoshop or other high data programs.

drop box is like 10 GB for a free account and usually high accessed files so does not deserve to go on a HDD in my eyes so to each their own.

Again anyone who knows anything about an SSD knows you always OP an extra 20-25% for good performance. I hit that endurance wall every day when AV goes into scanning because AV scanning plus all my daily activity equals drive stalls because it doesn't garbage collect and refresh fast enough. You always extra OP. Grant in my case i use kaspersky and kaspersky is a dog to SSDs for whatever reason when it scans.

seeing the start of the 2tb consumer ssd's announced at computex, which may mean the halo pricing for 1tb drives will disappear in the months ahead.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I anticipated needing 1 TB in SSD space, but didn't need it all immediately, I'd buy a 500/512 GB drive now and then buy a second drive when I needed it. SSD prices are coming down fairly steadily.

In fact, why not just add a second SSD to the one you currently have, rather than replacing it? Ultimately, that's going to be the least expensive option.

As the OP here, THIS is the kind of info I was hoping to get, assuming that there was such info. I keep Windows and Programs in my C partition and data in my D partition. So now I'm thinking, hey wait 3-4 months, maybe 5. So if necessary, I'll move D data off to a spare HDD for a while, and then jump in for a 1 TB or more SSD at much less than today's pricing.

As the OP here, THIS is the kind of info I was hoping to get, assuming that there was such info.

Unfortunately, that is just wishful thinking. Some people will believe anything they read.

Samsung is already shipping 3D cells ... intel and micron shipping them won't move prices much.

I've been upgrading a lot of systems for work lately and the Samsung 850 EVO & PRO are highly recommended...

• Leading Performance in Benchmarks
  • Good pricing wrt capacity & performance
  • Excellent cloning software that will run from windows and migrate your system over to the new drive seamlessly
  • Good management software that will help you configure you OS to make best use of the SSD & offer to let you manually choose the amount of 'overprovisioning' to preserve performance & reliability

The difference between PRO & EVO is about $100-150 for 1TB, a minor performance bump, and a huge reliability bump for highly volatile data storage (are you rotating video footage 24/7?).

Generally the 1TB 850 EVO is a great value. They are down to $360, which is already about $100 down from the beginning of the year.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E1T0B-AM/dp/B00OBRFFAS/

You can also pick up the same exact drive in mSATA form factor.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Samsung is already shipping 3D cells ... intel and micron shipping them won't move prices much.

samsung is making huge margins using 3D ceels but they have also figured out how to maximize TLC flash. So using less silicon than others their cost of production is half than of others. And there is no competition so they can charge what ever. But once others also enter the markets that will change. Silicon real estate is the most expensive component in the process, using less means they have lower prices. hence they go for ever lower die sizes. Its nto a direct corelation as how much can they reduce the size depends on techonology to do so but that is where quantity comes in. I think in an year once 3D cells and 15 micron flash are available prices will end up half they are now. Samsung has also shown that 3D cells can be run faster so instead of using a row in different die, they make it onto the same die and might also affect power requirements as not all the chips have to be turned on. So we have to see how that works compared to the channels they use now to get decent read speeds.

Back