• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need better clarity on tv

  • Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

Guest
I have an ati 9800 pro, and I have a mitsu 55" hdtv, svid looks like poo, not clear at all.

I would like to improve the clarity, I notice my card has a dvi out, and, the tv has a dvi in, can I use a dvi cable?

I have also seen the hdtv converter at newegg, they have 2 diff versions.

What do I need? I want to play games and watch movies on the tv, and, esentially, turn my computer into a htpc.
 
sc0tty8 said:
I have an ati 9800 pro, and I have a mitsu 55" hdtv, svid looks like poo, not clear at all.

I would like to improve the clarity, I notice my card has a dvi out, and, the tv has a dvi in, can I use a dvi cable?

I have also seen the hdtv converter at newegg, they have 2 diff versions.

What do I need? I want to play games and watch movies on the tv, and, esentially, turn my computer into a htpc.

why aren't you using composite? s-video is pretty crappy
 
Huh? Composite is even worse than svideo. If you use the DVI input you will probably need to download powerstip to create custom timings for the TV. If you dont you will have a lot of overscan.
 
almostinsane1 said:
Huh? Composite is even worse than svideo. If you use the DVI input you will probably need to download powerstip to create custom timings for the TV. If you dont you will have a lot of overscan.

well last time i checked (however this was with an xbox not a pc rig) composite was amazing. and i though it went like this (and im pretty sure it doe for tv's)

from worst to best:

af - basic SCART - S-video - advanced SCART (RGB) - composite (*EDIT should be 'component')
 
tornadotsunamilife said:
why aren't you using composite? s-video is pretty crappy

WHAT!!!!???

component > S-video > composite > coax

And man hook up a DVI cable and see what happens...if it works that'll be sweet...
 
^eMpTy^ said:
WHAT!!!!???

component > S-video > composite > coax

And man hook up a DVI cable and see what happens...if it works that'll be sweet...

lol maybe i meant component :( i don't really know (*goes to check*)

component is the one that is HDTV only right? (lol my memory fails me)
 
what i don't understand, why wont ati and nvidia just make their drivers work for TVs. We shouldn't have to get a 3rd party program to used the TV out feature.
 
tornadotsunamilife said:
lol maybe i meant component :( i don't really know (*goes to check*)

component is the one that is HDTV only right? (lol my memory fails me)

haha...yeah component is the one with a separate cable for red green and blue...
 
The reason I did not try the dvi cable is the fact I do not have 50$ to go and buy one.

The hdtv adapter has the component out.

I want to do this as easily as possible with best results, I did not opt for the extended warranty on the tv, so, I don't want to fubar it.

One of my buddies said he took the dvi cable from the satilite reciever and tried it on his moms hdtv with a gf3, and he said it was not much better then the s-vid.

Is there any way of improving the quality of the svid out?

I have cables I could use for component and svid, both are high quality monster cables, I do not, however, have the hdtv adapter, as I am unsure how well it works.
 
this may sound crazy, but lower the tv res to very very low. It will probably be clearer but very ugly...
 
that's because he has an older gfx card, the gf3 probably wont compare to the 9800pro dvi quality.
 
stumpy said:
You can get them on ebay for ~10 bucks.

go to the store and buy one...if you're not floored...return it...but I think you'll be floored...
 
^eMpTy^ said:
go to the store and buy one...if you're not floored...return it...but I think you'll be floored...


Yeah, I tihnk I will have to try it, hopefully, some one around here carries a dvi cable, I live out in BFE, so, some uncommon items like this can be trouble-sum to find(w/o having to drive 45+min).

Has anyone used the ati hdtv converter? I noticed with the converter, from what I gather from it is, you can select the output, like 480, 720, 1080..

And no, I won't buy cheap ebay cables, there is a reason it is cheap, like there is a reason you do not use an old craptastic gf2mx;)
 
Back
Top