Need betta headphones...tips?

WillowHawk

Gawd
i'm looking for a good set of headphones. something that wont break easily, something that has good bass and a wide range....ohh.. and somethign whose wires wotn break on the inside...see, that always happens to me after a few months, the wire breaks ont he inside...i usually buy the really cheap ones just because they break so often, but the qualtiy sucked....any ideas?

and no, i dont abuse em, and yes i did superglue the parts that were under the most stress(makes em last longer)

anything under 35 bucks is fair game

Well, you're not really going to find something that's all that great for less than $35. I suspect the reason you're running into so many problems is that your expectations are drastically too high. That said, the Sennheiser HD202's are about as good as you'll find in the sub $50 range.

my sennheiser HD-497s were about $40 refurb with shipping and they are AMAZING!

i would check price watch and froogle for the HD-497s, sometimes you can get some good deals on them. they also have repaceable cords, so if you do tear it somehow you can replace the whole cord insted of the headphones.

great headphones = HD-497 = worth every penny

Here is the official page on those headphones.
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/05179

I personally have the HD 570s (out of your price bracket) and they have a cord that enters on the left side and it is detachable (and as a result replacable). So far i've had mine for about 1 1/2 years, it'll be 2 years this december. I use them daily. Very good headphones and no problems with any loose connections yet.

I havn't tried the 497s but they might be a good choice. Sennheiser makes very nice headphones.

<------- bites tongue about how not good the HD570s really are.
ooops :D

For the OP I have two things....
Get a spell checker and double your budget (I agree with Craftish cause most of the sub $40 cans are a waste of cash).

Mister X said:
<------- bites tongue about how not good the HD570s really are.
ooops :D
what do you recommend?
the HD570's look like they have a small and uncomfortable cup, anyway.

that 570 looks really good actually, the 497's look uncomfortable, but as i have tired neither, i cant be the judge for that. i'll check my Bible..er....hardforum i mean, and look in the grocerystory...er...i mean ebay. and see what i can get. i'm plannign to couple a high quatlity headset with a soundcard.
i like my music
:D

WillowHawk said:
but would the wires break on the inside as readily as the cheaper models?

Most likely not? I used the hd497's fairly heavily for 6 months with no problems before selling them to a friend (I upgraded) who after about a year damaged the external cable and had to buy a replacement ($8).

Occasionally you can find them for around $50 shipped

the HD570's look like they have a small and uncomfortable cup, anyway.
Actully that is one thing they have going for them.... they are very comfortable.

what do you recommend?
If we apply what he said in the other thread we can figure that closed cans are better for him then open cans.
For less then $40 that leaves one good highly portable choice (Sennheiser PX200s)
and one not so good and not so portable choice (Sennheiser HD212s)

Double the budget and we start to get into
HD280 and ATH500 range.

for me, I'd feel comfortable with a loose budget of $100... If theres a good set that's a little more I can do that...

what would you recommend? I currently use a (cheap) set of Sony MDR-CD280 that have been good to me for 2 years. Although it's a "cheap" $30 set, they are quite comfortable. Anything I can do better? I like the big-cup style of the MDR's.

That depends if you need isolation or not....

The downside to the whole closed cans thing is they usually don't perform as well as open cans that cost the same ammount.

That also makes the desicion harder cause there are a lot of good sub $100 open cans out there.

open/closed can doesn't really matter as long as they're comfortable. Privacy isn't an issue.

I listen to everything. rock, punk, rap, classical, techno, jazz -- it doesn't matter... whatever I'm in the mood for.

I'm definitely looking for a headphone amp too, so if there's a combo or pair that compliments each other then I'd like to know. Something that can get loud w/o distorting would be nice.

If I was you I would take a serious look at the AKG K501s
They sell for a little more $100 but they do all of the types of music you listed very well.
The downside is they really need an amp to shine.

Other candidates in your price range are the Grado SR80s and the Sennheiser HD515s.

what kind of amp should I be looking for?

the HD515's looked nice, as do the K501's... I don't much care for the SR80s.

compslckr said:
my sennheiser HD-497s were about $40 refurb with shipping and they are AMAZING!

i would check price watch and froogle for the HD-497s, sometimes you can get some good deals on them. they also have repaceable cords, so if you do tear it somehow you can replace the whole cord insted of the headphones.

great headphones = HD-497 = worth every penny

could you tell me where to get the cords at please?

my hd-497 cord is dying. the left side dies in and out
i have to keep fiddling with it

i tried looking on froogle, but the place i found wanted to charge $30 for the cord.
seems like a lot for a pair of headphones i paid $50 for

Comparing the 497 cable I now have in front of me vs the picture, I'd say it looks about right

thanks a million
for some reason i couldn't get to the sennheiserusa site earlier

potroast said:
what kind of amp should I be looking for?

the HD515's looked nice, as do the K501's... I don't much care for the SR80s.

I am not a big fan of Grados either.

Settle on what cans you want then we can talk specific amp details.... via PM's please.
Other then that.......assuming you do not have any inclination to build your own amp.....
A wall powered Cmoy or Mint will do nicely in the sub $100 price range.
Or maybe even a Vibe but I am kinda biased so enough about that.
For $100 to $150 you are in portable Pimeta territory.
$150 to $200 range is very nicely equipped Pimeta territory.
At over $200 you start to get into the rage were commercial amps become viable.

HD-497s are great for the price. If you get more money though go for something sony if you're looking for bass

These Awia's Rule

I Personally use these headphones with my ipod on bass booster to bench everyother sound system i hear. I love these headphones.

Maybe i have simple ears, but i have a hard time telling the difference between these and my home theater setup which consists of and optical to to my onkyo reciever and JBL and cerwin vega speakers.

give these headphones a shot, you can always return them. but you would be cheating yourself if you didnt try them. the are a little strong on the high treble, but the bass the are able to achieve rounds them out nicely.

give em a shot.

Back