Need Best Audio System with Floorstanding Speakers

sammy159

Weaksauce
Hello ]H[
I need a help here for a 7.1 hi-fi Audio System for my PC with Floor Standing Speakers
The Budget is $1500.
The hi-fi system needed will be used for Gaming,watching Movies,Music.
How can i get a best hi-fi audio system in my Budget?
Please Help.
Features that should be in System:-
1] 7.1 Digital Surround Sound
2] HD Quality Sound
3] Floor Standing Speakers
What Parts will be included in it? Like Numbers of Speakers[2 x 3way Floorstanding] ,Woofer , bass reflex....And so on

Is this $1500 not including the receiver? Are floorstanding a must? I would like to see a 7.1 setup for the same price that can beat the one below.

SVS 7.1 https://svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

But for 7.1 and that budget you are really limited. Imo I would concentrate on 5.1 with the ability to upgrade later to 7.1 later.

alternatively get the 5.0 SVS and this subwoofer for a bit cheaper $350 if you need a receiver. http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=407

Killer setup.

your requirements are just marketing fluff, excepting FS speakers, which may or may not be a real requirement given that you're doing 5.1/7.1 (how big is your room?)

SVS is good, I also like Definitive, NHT, Yamaha, and Mirage, have a look

-Yea Floorstanding Speakers are Must
-I would like to have a killer 7.1 setup
-Hmm.....Receiver no not included in 1500
-I think it can be possible beat the above Setup

The speaker set that kadozer linked to is really good (especially the sub) but if you have to have floorstanding I came up with another alternative (there are many other options, this is just one I came up with real quick).

I listed a couple different reciever choices (all capable of decoding lossless formats via HDMI), but I would personally go with the 806. It has the most power of the ones listed and should drive just about any speaker you throw at it for years to come. They all should have more than enough connections for you. Accessories4less is an authorized reseller of Onkyo products so you get a 1 yr manufacture warranty.

Reciever:
Onkyo Tx-sr806 550 + shipping
Please note this reciever is THXII certified
Onkyo TX-SR706 430 + shipping
Onkyo TX-SR607 340 + shipping

All speakers unless otherwise listed come with free shipping
Fronts:
Polk Monitor 70's 230x2 = 460
Center:
Polk CS2 130
This center is timbre matched with the monitor series​

Side and Rear Surrounds:
Polk Monitor 40's 150 x 2 = 300

Subwoofer:
SVS PB10-NSD 475+ shipping
or
Polk DSW microPro 1000 449
of these two I would lean toward the SVS personally, but I havent heard either

Total cost: ~1495 dollars.

I would also suggest you head over to Monoprice.com for your speaker wire. I got 300 ft of 14 guage wire for 78 dollars. Sure beats the crap out of anything at Frye's or Best Buy.

**edited after noting that the reciever was not included in the 1500 dollar setup**

Last edited:
Yeah agree with everyone, for a quick build of a 7.1, SVS is good. So is Ascend (I heard their Rhythmic sub is nice), Emotiva, Hsu (another sub alternative), Aperion (get a SVS sub though) and a few others. You can buy as a complete 7.1 set and get a discount. Go to someplace like Accessories4Less to get a nice receiver and you are all set up.

Sub=subwoofer?
And ya i will go for your suggested build.Or any one can make it better

Last edited:
also worth noting is newegg is selling them new, Polk has a ebaywebsite where you can get factory refurb products at a decent price.

I also edited my above post with diff speakers after realizing the 1500 budget didnt include the reciever.

I will also jump on the SVS bandwagon. I have their PC+ sub and their MTS speakers and man, that stuff is GOOD. In your range, you won't get the M series speakers, but their S series speakers are very solid. What I'd suggest doing is e-mailing them with your requirements and seeing what they have. Their sales people are very knowledgeable and if they can't answer your question they'll hand you off to one of the engineers who actually designed the speakers.

I don't know where you live but it would be best also to take the setups people recommend and try to find them locally. Most Polk stuff can be auditioned at Frys and the rest at a local high end audio dealer. The thing with SVS is you get a 30 day guarantee. I have yet to find a disappointed SVS owner.

These speakers come in different flavors so its all subjective you should be the ultimate judge if you can test them out:

"bright" to "Laid back" sounding. For myself, Polks are good for Home Theater and not so much for music. I prefer laid back to bright sounding.

Regarding floorstanding, remember bigger doesn't mean better.

Edit: I see you're going with SVS. Let us know how it sounds and give us a mini review. Can't go wrong with those.

Thanx is it 7.1 or shall i buy the Svs system
i want system for pc

The setup I listed is indeed 7.1. As others have suggested I would try and listen to the speakers if you can to get an idea of if you like them. That was why I listed the Polk setup, they are normally very easy to find in stores.

If you are going to go and listen to the speakers the Monitor series has been replaced by the TSI series, so a comprable speakers to the Monitor 70 would be the TSI500 (which is 339 @ newegg). That would give you a good idea of how the Monitor 70 would sound.

oh thanx u guys r helpful & shall go for a SVS system
Bro i hav max 2k to shell out so tell which system
i dont want bigger.....I dont want better....I want the best beast

If you go bookshelves then you need stands, which will put you back $300 for 5 speakers for entry-level wood stands, unless you plan on putting them on cinder blocks. Which, of course, aren't free either.

I want the best beast

I have to tell you, it's not easy getting the "best beast" for $1500 or even $2,000. The best sub from SVS alone costs $1,900 shipped, pre-tax.

Then again, you state you want to best system for your PC...how large is the room? 7.1 is kind of overkill for a small office.

Lol sitting near the biggest SVS sub and playing it loud could make your head explode.

Well it seems like you can go with a 7.1 and a 10" sub for $1275.00. or go for a 5.1 with a 12" sub for $1200.00. Choice of more surrounds or getting blown away with the sub. :D

If all the receiver is for music to the PC, you can get something like this.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-100w-X-7ch-Hdmi-Home-Theater-Surround/1.html

and save a bit of money. This will leave like $300 for stands for the surround and rears (put the fronts on the PC table).

If this is going full multimedia home theater, you may rather go with something that has more video features like this

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ed-Hdmi-V1.3a-7.2-channel-A/v-Receiver/1.html

This will leave like $200 for cinder blocks to prop your surrounds until you get more money. :D:D

Last edited:
Nother possible setup for beast Lvl.

Speakers:

Front: B&W 802 Diamond Towers
Sides/Rears: B&W 805 Diamond Bookshelves
Center: B&W HTM 2 Center
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=4693

Subwoofer:
JL Audio g213 Gotham Sub
http://home.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=370

Amplifer:
Don't know...Maybe something like a Emotiva UPA-7
http://emotiva.com/upa7.shtm

Edit: If you need more beastly power....
Sunfire Theater Grand
http://www.sunfire.com/productdetail.asp?id=3

Preamp: Something like a Marantz AV8003
http://us.marantz.com/Products/2317.asp

Total price approx: $42k

Just one possibility. There are countless combos you can make.

Connect that to your PC and play Dragon Age Origin at high volume. :p

Last edited:
Nother possible setup for beast Lvl.

Speakers:

Front: B&W 802 Diamond Towers
Sides/Rears: B&W 805 Diamond Bookshelves
Center: B&W HTM 2 Center
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=4693

Subwoofer:
JL Audio g213 Gotham Sub
http://home.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=370

Amplifer:
Don't know...Maybe something like a Emotiva UPA-7
http://emotiva.com/upa7.shtm

Edit: If you need more beastly power....
Sunfire Theater Grand
http://www.sunfire.com/productdetail.asp?id=3

Preamp: Something like a Marantz AV8003
http://us.marantz.com/Products/2317.asp

Total price approx: $42k

Just one possibility. There are countless combos you can make.

Connect that to your PC and play Dragon Age Origin at high volume. :p

Awesome....!
Too Costly :p

A Powerful 7.1 combo in 2k.....Similar to above can be the best...

How big is your room? I'd consider stepping down to 5.1.

Well if your limit is $2k then you are not going to get much more than the SVS setup considering that is already bordering on the $2k limit. That's kind of like saying, I need something the level of a Porsche Roadster for $15k. The only other possibility is to search for a used system but then there always is the risk of something not to be in order (check Audiogon if you are interested in used systems).

One reason for the choice of the SVS for your needs (close to beastly as possible) is their strength in their subwoofer design. They tend to make a sub that can go lower than most brands yet be tight and articulate. This tends to help provide strength to any music or theater experience.

For the price you are paying, it will be hard to find something comparable, let alone better than the SVS combo. It is one reason why you notice almost all the posters had agreed the SVS choice to be a good one.

Edit: As 450 suggests, you can try going 5.1 instead of 7.1 and getting a 12" sub instead of a 10" one since this should give more kick to your sound experience.

Last edited:
So just gimme a link for a beasty 2k system...Ok 5.1 will also do.I wanna buy asap

We understand that you have a big room. Its just that you are not going to get anything much more beastly than the SVS system for $2000. So if you have a large room and want a beastly system, then you will have to pay more. You get what you pay for.

7.1 will not really increase the volume of your sound over a 5.1 but only make it more surround like. A larger sub will be useful to fill a larger room since the low frequencies attenuate faster. So a 5.1 with a 12" sub may be more suited.

If you want, you can get the 7.1 with the 12" sub and get both for $1419.00 and you can either skimp on the receiver or get no stands. Your choice.

Someone provided the link before but here it is again.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

You should go 5.1. You can get higher quality with less speakers.

Besides, 7.1 is a misnomer. Neither Dolby Digital HD nor DTS-Master are 7.1, in fact the former is 5.1 and the latter is 6.1, with the sixth channel essentially synthesized from the surrounds. All 7.1 is a receiver mode where surround channels are mirrored in the rears. That's it. There is no "discrete 7.1"

All you need is 5.1.

So is the stuff in your sig what you own now, or intend to own? (the sig stuff doesn't seem like its just $4k)

Also...Did you get my PM, hope it helped.

intended to own and ya i read yr pm it was very helpful....half of stuffs frm sig hav been bought

y r u debating on the sig i already told that the pc components r ready leaving monitors & speakers r going to change

y r u debating on the sig i already told that the pc components r ready leaving monitors & speakers r going to change

Wow, you added what Zenshi suggested to your sig?

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR806 | Front: B&W 802 Diamond TOWERS | Side & Rear: B&W 805 Diamond | Center: B&W HTM2 | Sub:JL Audio G213 Gotham | AMP:Sunfire Theatre Grand | Preamp:Marantz AV800Z

Do you even understand what all of that is for? You have a receiver, and then a preamp and an amp.

What do you own from your sig? It matters, because we can make a recommendation based on what you have. If you're just trying to have the largest e-penis, then let us know and we'll stop wasting our time.

Also, I hate to tell you, but that setup still isn't the "best beast" and such a setup will probably run over $100K.

We understand that you have a big room. Its just that you are not going to get anything much more beastly than the SVS system for $2000. So if you have a large room and want a beastly system, then you will have to pay more. You get what you pay for.

+1 :)

You should go 5.1. You can get higher quality with less speakers.

Besides, 7.1 is a misnomer. Neither Dolby Digital HD nor DTS-Master are 7.1, in fact the former is 5.1 and the latter is 6.1, with the sixth channel essentially synthesized from the surrounds. All 7.1 is a receiver mode where surround channels are mirrored in the rears. That's it. There is no "discrete 7.1"

All you need is 5.1.

agree with everything that has been said here +1

Uhhh...you made a sig of stuff you don't own? :confused:

:(

What do you own from your sig? It matters, because we can make a recommendation based on what you have. If you're just trying to have the largest e-penis, then let us know and we'll stop wasting our time.

Also, I hate to tell you, but that setup still isn't the "best beast" and such a setup will probably run over $100K.

+1

honestly OP, if its just about eCock, get over it
if you want honest help, you gotta provide honest input

the above posters are all right, 5.1 is good, SVS' setup is probably the best you'll get for your fairly limited budget, that doesn't mean its a bad setup, but no it isn't "absolute top of the line", you don't need "absolute top of the line" though; you can get a really killer setup for your budget, as long as you're realistic about it

Because it's stupid?

There are two reasons for posting stuff in your sig:

1) So that people know what you have, and thus can make suggestions/comments at relevant times.

2) Because you want to brag about how cool your stuff is.

Well neither of these apply if you don't actually own said hardware. Thus it is useless, you are lying more or less.

Well that depends. Dolby TrueHD does actually support 7.1, and in fact supports formats up to 14 discrete channels. Not sure about DTS-MA. However you are correct in that I am not aware of any movies that have a 7.1 mix.

Computers are a different story. They can address an arbitrarily high number of channels, and in fact Windows has a setup for 7.1 mapping using DirectSound and Xaudio and the like. In this case, it will address the channels separately, since games don't store sound as multi-channel, they simply do things like "Play this sound at this location." How useful that is, however, is up for debate.

Well that depends. Dolby TrueHD does actually support 7.1, and in fact supports formats up to 14 discrete channels. Not sure about DTS-MA. However you are correct in that I am not aware of any movies that have a 7.1 mix.

Computers are a different story. They can address an arbitrarily high number of channels, and in fact Windows has a setup for 7.1 mapping using DirectSound and Xaudio and the like. In this case, it will address the channels separately, since games don't store sound as multi-channel, they simply do things like "Play this sound at this location." How useful that is, however, is up for debate.

DTS-MA can do 7.1 as well, but as you and astralite said, nothing uses it (today)

oke......i apologize/now i have deleted the siggy....and i already told that i would go for 5.1 setup with digital sound and HD AUDIO.

Hmm....Will Someone do me a favour by posting a 5.1 sound system with that 12" Subwoofer of SVS PLEAASEEEEE

Back