Need assistance.

SkinnyBones

Limp Gawd
Well i helped fix one of my friends computers. And she is telling me now that the start menu and desktop icons are unresponsive. Everything was working fine before. So i can't figure out what could be causing it. Does anyone of a site or maybe some one had the same problem and knows a way to fix it? PLease help

Its Windows XP Pro

Did you "fix" it over the phone? What did you fix?

Can she reboot? Have her go into safe mode and see if it persists.

Install AVG Free Antivirus, Spybot S&D, and Adaware SE.

upriverpaddler said:
Did you "fix" it over the phone? What did you fix?

Can she reboot? Have her go into safe mode and see if it persists.

Install AVG Free Antivirus, Spybot S&D, and Adaware SE.

NO i reinstalled windows at her house and installed norton antivirus. And it does the same thing in safe mode.

If you have the same problem in safemode after you reinstalled possibly its a hardware problem?

benamaster said:
If you have the same problem in safemode after you reinstalled possibly its a hardware problem?

Thats what i was thinking. I was thinking it could be the ram. Since one of my friends did have a problem that they would lose thir sound and video drivers and it was becuase there wasa worm or virus on the memory.

Did you just reinstall windows or did you do a clean install? If all you did was reinstall I would wipe the harddrive and do a clean install. If it's still doing it then it has to be a hardware problem.

I did i clean install of windows. The thing that makes it confusing is that it ran fine for about 2 weeks and then this happened. But you can never tell when i virus or worm will run. I will probably do another clean install and and update everything to the newest drivers and stuff and maybe that will help. I will probably run memtest to see if that comes up with anything.

well ..you suggested that it might have a virus .. what where your findings on that?
..have you done another clean install yet?

NOt yet i'm still waiting on the person to bring it to work so i can bring it to my house to figure it out.

Back