Need assistance hooking up my laptop and PC to a Etherfast 5-port switch!

Chams

Gawd
I just bought a Linksys Etherfast 5-port switch. The manual didn't give me any instruction at all about where to hook up anything. So I just plugged the incoming internet into the uplink port and the PC and laptop into ports 1 and 2 respectively. The PC works, but the laptop doesn't. My friend told me that I would have to release the IP from my laptop. Which I did but when I tried to renew it would time out because it couldn't find the DHCP. What am I doing wrong here? :confused:

What is your internet connection? There's a good chance your ISP will only give you one IP address. If that's the case then you'll have to use a router to provide NAT for your network so that all your computers can use the internet.

Chams said:
I just bought a Linksys Etherfast 5-port switch. The manual didn't give me any instruction at all about where to hook up anything. So I just plugged the incoming internet into the uplink port and the PC and laptop into ports 1 and 2 respectively. The PC works, but the laptop doesn't. My friend told me that I would have to release the IP from my laptop. Which I did but when I tried to renew it would time out because it couldn't find the DHCP. What am I doing wrong here? :confused:

EDIT:
yeah, what jpmkm said.
(beat by 2 whole minutes on the reply)

Incoming internet?

Is it a cable modem or DSL? Possibly dorm room ethernet connection?

Depending on your connection you might need a router and not a switch. Since most cable and DSL companies only give you one IP address.

Then yes, you'll either need to pay your provider for another IP or replace your switch with a SOHO router. They will have a built in switch for multiple clients. If it's a laptop with integrated wireless you might consider getting a Wireless router for mobility.

On the other hand, you could also put another network card in the desktop, run proxy or NAT software (Windows native app is ICS) and run it like that if you want. Not a preferred method but works if that's the way you want to go.

Astra said:
Cannot he use ICS on his desktop?
ktwebb already mentioned this, but yes, he can do that if he wants to put another nic in his computer and if he wants to have his computer on whenever he wants to access the internet on his laptop. I'd just get a router.

I too would rather just get a router, it pays for itself in 1 or 2 months compared to paying extra for another IP. And if you're notebook has wireless, you can get a wireless router and surf the net from the bathroom.

Back