need assistance completing my SB build (ver. video card + big screen)

as the title says i could use a little help picking out a video card. this computer will be used for gaming and some DAW recording. still need a hdd too so suggestions welcome there as well (or anywhere else for that matter) :)

my build sofar:
i7 2600k
Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 Hyper 212 Plus
ASUS P8P67 (pro or deluxe)
G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1333
Silverstone FT02B
Corsair CMPSU-750HX
hdd: still havent settled on one yet, looking into WD black and Samsung (not going SSD at this time)
windows 7 64bit

i know little about the various video options out there other than what ive read the past few days. what i would really like to do is use my LG 42LE5500 as my main monitor and possibly have a smaller (17"-19") monitor hooked up as well when i need to get work done and still be able to watch TV on the LG.

my main concern is what kind of price range am i looking at if i want to use this big TV for games like mw2/black ops, starcraft II, and possibly some that are unreleased like diablo III and the new assassins creed. ive heard alot of mixed opinions on going with a crossfire/SLI setup so im a bit weary on that (not to mention im a little ignorant on the benefits of doing so). im also not sure which input on my tv would give me the best quality as i have a few choices (the link above has the specs/inputs for the tv)

many of my searched lead me to the HD 6970. would this be a good option and if not what else would you suggest i go with? as always any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please answer the sticky questions so we can better tailor our suggestions. Additionally:

- Why do you need the i7-2600k instead of, say, the i5-2500k?
- Which features of the P8P67 Pro or Deluxe are must have for you?

Here are my recommendations for a few parts:

Video card: Radeon HD 6950 (it can be softmodded to be an HD 6970)
Hard drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB HDD

Which features of the P8P67 Pro or Deluxe are must have for you?

For starters, the P8P67 Pro is the least expensive Asus P67 motherboard that offers SLI support (in addition to Crossfire) and an onboard Intel (instead of Realtek) NIC. (Cheaper Asus standard ATX P67 mobos offer only Crossfire support and a Realtek NIC.) The Deluxe adds "additional" PCIe lanes via an additional repeater chip and a second Realtek NIC in addition to the primary Intel NIC.

thank you for your input tiraides. to answer your questions

- Why do you need the i7-2600k instead of, say, the i5-2500k?
i dont NEED necessarily, but i happen to have one sitting 3 feet from me right now. i guess i neglected to mention that, my bad. i do understand it is overkill and wont provide much benefit for gaming over the 2500k, im ok with that. i got a good deal and i may be doing some things down the line that will benefit from the boost :)
- Which features of the P8P67 Pro or Deluxe are must have for you?
E4g1e summed that up for me already. im not one of those people who builds a new machine every 6-12 months. my last build was over 5 years ago but a few months before that one i did another build where i cut some corners here and there and just was not happy with how things turned out. because of that i find going slightly overboard works best for me.

and following that logic one could ask why i dont just drop $600 on a video card...

Don't go for that 16GB RAM set as it is overpriced considering that you can get two of this set of RAM for much less:
$77 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

You're gonna want to use HDMI with that TV.

Back