Need an upgrade from a WRT54G, moving to Gigabit WAN

idea

Gawd
I am no longer able to use my trusty WRT54G because I am getting a new Gigabit WAN link. It only has 10/100 wan port and the little 200MHz Broadcom can't handle the load anyway.

I want to go with the theme of low power, low heat, low noise, very very minimal router setup with Linux/FreeBSD compatible hardware. Does a device like this exist or do I need to spare Intel Atom parts off newegg and build the thing myself?

This is a contender but I am looking for more suggestions: http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/42372/135/

This is more of a hardware thread but while I am here, I should mention that I have not yet chosen the OS. Can anyone recommend anything? I wish I could still run Tomato. Those guys need to release a full blown distro soon.

a "gigabit WAN link"? Are you sure?

umm, a 7300 series Cisco router? but you're looking around $10 000.

I am no longer able to use my trusty WRT54G because I am getting a new Gigabit WAN link. It only has 10/100 wan port and the little 200MHz Broadcom can't handle the load anyway.

I want to go with the theme of low power, low heat, low noise, very very minimal router setup with Linux/FreeBSD compatible hardware. Does a device like this exist or do I need to spare Intel Atom parts off newegg and build the thing myself?

This is a contender but I am looking for more suggestions: http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/42372/135/

This is more of a hardware thread but while I am here, I should mention that I have not yet chosen the OS. Can anyone recommend anything? I wish I could still run Tomato. Those guys need to release a full blown distro soon.

Since you have a WRT54G I'm going to assume this is a home setup. So you're saying you're getting 1Gbps service from your ISP?. Wow, I thought my 18Mbps from Uverse Max was fast.

I think there's something you're not telling us here. What ISP and what speed profile are you getting?

Metro-E eh? Provider?(ligthpath I would assume) Price? Im extremely interested as well. You will not be able to get something low end and get good performance out of it, with that kind of connection you're going to need something with a decent backplane for all the throughout. I would even wonder if a homebrew could route that fast.... remember homebrew(pfsense,mono,untangle, any technology that has pf or tables in the name is NOT meant to route)... Good luck finding a cheap solution.

+1 to what vito said, why?

Perhaps a Cisco 3550-12G, they can be had for less than $1,500.

OK, you guys called my bluff. I said Gigabit for argument's sake. I didn't think it would be an issue. I am actually getting 101Mbit down, 15Mbit up from Optimum Online in NYC. They are rolling out DOCSIS 3.0 this month. It only costs $99/mo for a residential subscriber. I currently pay $45/mo for 30/5Mbit.

Now they we got that straightened out, can we continue with the discussion :D

OK, you guys called my bluff. I said Gigabit for argument's sake. I didn't think it would be an issue. I am actually getting 101Mbit down, 15Mbit up from Optimum Online in NYC. They are rolling out DOCSIS 3.0 this month. It only costs $99/mo for a residential subscriber. I currently pay $45/mo for 30/5Mbit.

Now they we got that straightened out, can we continue with the discussion :D

Don't try to bluff a group of skeptics and literalists :)

Jetway has a dual core atom board on newegg with pci, ide, and gig lan, with a combo deal for a pretty nice looking MITX case with power supply. I just priced one out with 2GB ram, CompactFlash-to-IDE adapter, 2GB CF Card, a Intel GB nic, and that case for $242 - I say just build one.

Jetway has a dual core atom board on newegg with pci, ide, and gig lan, with a combo deal for a pretty nice looking MITX case with power supply. I just priced one out with 2GB ram, CompactFlash-to-IDE adapter, 2GB CF Card, a Intel GB nic, and that case for $242 - I say just build one.

Link? Does it have an expansion slot for a second gigabit nic?

Link? Does it have an expansion slot for a second gigabit nic?

Well there's an Intel dual-core Atom ITX mobo with a PCI slot:
$82 - Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Atom 330 CPU Intel 945GC m-ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

I recommend this NIC:
$28 - Intel PWLA8391GT 10/100/1000Mbps PRO/1000 GT PCI NIC OEM w/ 1 x RJ45

Back