Need an updated Cable Modem?

AMDXP

2[H]4U
I'm just curious. I have Comcast cable internet rated for 6600/1100.

Upload is fine. It's the download I've always wondered, but it never really bothered me. Speedtest show 3-4 mbps download and on actual downloads from reliable sites they never go above 400-500 kB/s.

Is it time to update my cable modem? It's a Linkys BEFCMU10. It's pretty old though from about 2001.

Could that be a reason I'm not seeing full speeds or even, "POWERBOOST!?"

I prob won't update it since it doesn't really bother me and is a hassle to change.. rather I don't feel like spending the money and calling.

Just wondering.

THANKS!

I had the same question 2 years ago, running a cable modem installed in 1998. And still worked up to ~ 4mbps. Comcast stated I wouldn't see the full potential of the system until I swapped out my old modem with a current gen modem.

And Comcast was right. My speeds more than doubled...

Depends what your package speeds are...if they are higher than your modem is capable of, yes you will see an increase most likely. If not, then probably nothing different.

Motorola Surfboard 5120 is one of the most beloved cable modems, and some others in the 5100 series. They work perfectly with Comcast and their powerboost.

You can find them dirt cheap on fleabay....I've bought a few off fleabay for 55-70 bucks...still brand new and shrink wrapped in the box.

When you receive it..you get your phone, swap it out with your current modem...write down the MAC address of your new modem, call Comcast support...tell then you just purchased a new cable modem and need to have it "provisioned". The Comcast person asks you to read them your new modems MAC address...so you give it to them, they remote in, upload their config file to it, the modem reboots..and BAM..you're online. Now setup your router..sit back, and enjoy the 20 or more megs of download goodness. Takes about 10-15 minutes on the phone with them, very quick 'n simple.

The 6120 model is due out soon...if it's not already. It's the replacement model for the 5120.

Back