Need an outside opinion

GDstew4

[H]ard|Gawd
A friend of mine called me with an issue he's having with Supreme Commander sporadically freezing during gameplay. Everything goes back to normal after about 30 - 60 secs but that's quite a long 'freeze' I asked him how many processes he has running in the background and he said that it showed 45 processes with a commit charge of 937M/3940M. That seems like an awful lot for 45 processes, could he be harboring some kind of malware or virus?

What are the specs of your friends computer? SupCom is a beast and slows down even the fastest systems.

3500+, 2gig RAM, 7800GTX

Pretty similar to mine and I can run it just fine.

Its not that the frame rate is slow, he says that it just pauses mid game on its own and resumes like 30-60 seconds later.

I get occasional pauses but only for about half a second

When you give a order to a unit, it pauses before moving. Is that the pause your friend is experiencing? Or it completely paused where no orders can be given.

I'm pretty sure it's a total 'freeze' of the game. Stuff stops moving, constructing, reclaiming, etc...

My main question though is about the 937M commit charge...seems like too much for 45 processes.

Just take a look at the items using the most memory. It's a lot find why. The pausing could be a lot of things though, thermal throttling can wreak havoc with a system.

45 processes isn't a massive amount although back on XP pro I was down to about 20, but it really depends on exactly what they're doing, if they virus scanners going off in the background scanning new email as it arrives or malware scans of the hard drive or something, then yeah it will cause disruption.

If you want to rule that out then simply disable anything thats not strictly needed and see if it helps, it sounds more like a serious issue though, possibly a bug with the game? Check their forums for similar bugs. Maybe even hardware related, are video card and cpu temps ok?

Back