Need an LCD for a graphics pro

black0ut

Gawd
I have a client who is a professional graphic designer, and he needs a new monitor, and as he has been working for firm until now (going freelance), the IT department has taken care of anything. He uses the entire Photoshop suite, and his work has an emphasis on packaging design, so lots of text and colors.

Requirements:

Perfect color-this is his job
Viewing angles- not important, he will viewing this straight on at all times
Size- 22-24''
Budget- None really, but lets say a flexible $700.

A friend in the IT department told him to get the U2410. Is that a good recommendation? As I understand, IPS has better color reproduction but P-MVA has better contrast/blacks, so I'm a bit confused.

What would you guys recommend?

$700 may get you an okay IPS/MVA monitor, but you'll have to spend well over $1-2k to get something that is truly worthy of being a professional LCD. So, what level of professionalism are we talking about? Absolutely 100% identical picture to print? Okay if two colours are off by a few gradients? You'll most definitely want to keep it calibrated monthly if not more often using a professional calibration tool as well. Factory settings often suck.

What is the current monitor that he uses?

Does he care about standard color gamut (for better displayed color accuracy) or wide color gamut (for better printed color accuracy)? Most monitors are wide color gamut.

The best 24" for his needs (regardless of price) is the $1,100+ NEC LCD2490WUXi which has standard color gamut.

If he is willing to go up to $800, then he can opt for the 26" Planar PX2611w which has wide color gamut. I recommended this monitor to a friend of mine who does professional graphics work as well; mostly presentation graphics.

The U2410 is kinda new so I haven't really done much research on it, but I'm sure others will chime in.

In general, *VA monitors have better blacks than TN or IPS. There will never be a "perfect panel", everything is a compromise and that is something your client must understand since he is the ultimate user.

For perfect colour you need to look at the NEX xx90 Spectraview and Eizo CG series. They are not cheap.

If you want to jerk your client around, then get a U2410.

I'd recommend a Multisync like the LCD2690WUXi. Packaging design will probably make use of a wide colour space. Eizo would be good as well, but NEC's Spectraview package makes the Multisync family a better deal than a Flexscan Premium.

Here is some good information from a vendor:

http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/120/Monitors+For+High+Quality+Imaging+Work

Apparently the design firm that he was working at used all U2410 monitors. I figure that they know better than me on how to maximize productivity of their workers, so I went ahead and recommended the same monitor to him.

^^

I would say that's the safest bet. If they are all calibrated the same way then there shouldn't be much color variations.

Apparently the design firm that he was working at used all U2410 monitors. I figure that they know better than me on how to maximize productivity of their workers, so I went ahead and recommended the same monitor to him.

Ummm....the Dell U2410 discussion is worth a look before you buy.

There is a reason it is so long..... and not because people are awestruck. ;)

Ummm....the Dell U2410 discussion is worth a look before you buy.

There is a reason it is so long..... and not because people are awestruck. ;)

Yeah, I actually just finished reading that and the NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi one as well... it seems like I'll be recommending the NEC instead, due to the overwhelming evidence against the Dell.

Back