Need amp for some old speakers

Arusha

n00b
So my dad gave me his old speakers, and I want to hook them up to my pc. Here's the speakers:

DSC00890-001.jpg

DSC00892-003.jpg

Dantax MC 302 is the model in case it's hard to make out on the photo. They're about 20 years old, but still sound good imo. They're in pretty good nick too.

I'm guessing that since they say 200/300W on that sticker, a small and desk friendly unit is out of the question, and that I'll need a "standard" size stereo amp. On the other hand, my dad ran them for 20 years with a Technics SU-V460 integrated amp, which according to google is only 80W.

So, on to my actual question - what should I buy to connect this to my pc? I have plenty of desk space, but I'd still prefer a small'ish unit, as I don't like desk clutter. Don't mind buying used, but keep in mind that I'm in euroland.

As a bonus question, I'm thinking of getting me a pair of more audiophile headphones for when I can't use the speakers. So a unit that I can connect those to at the same time would be useful.

I'm using onboard audio (Asus P5K mobo currently) and don't intend on changing that, unless you all really insist.

Budget is.. well, I'm thinking like 3-400$ for the amp? The headphones will come later.

A few links on a google search says 4 ohms, probably correct but not 100% sure.

according to this post:
http://translate.google.com/transla...arch?q=dantax+mc+302&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns

these are 4 ohm. You need something powerful to drive them.
This one would do nicely:
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...555-Integrated-Digital-Amplifier-Black/1.html
but I won't recommend you running this from analog onboard sound. Best to get cheap Asus Xonar card or even better cheap external usb dac like behringer uca202

option b (without need for dac or new soundcard)
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...y-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html#!specifications
This is not as powerful as a9555, but still plenty of juice to play these speaker very loud.
The plus is you get digital audio inputs you could use essentially bypassing onboard sound card

according to this post:
http://translate.google.com/transla...arch?q=dantax+mc+302&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns

these are 4 ohm. You need something powerful to drive them.
This one would do nicely:
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...555-Integrated-Digital-Amplifier-Black/1.html
but I won't recommend you running this from analog onboard sound. Best to get cheap Asus Xonar card or even better cheap external usb dac like behringer uca202

option b (without need for dac or new soundcard)
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...y-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html#!specifications
This is not as powerful as a9555, but still plenty of juice to play these speaker very loud.
The plus is you get digital audio inputs you could use essentially bypassing onboard sound card

Heh, that last one does more stuff than the TX-SR507 under my TV. ;) Also a bit large for my tastes. The A-9555 looks nice, but having trouble finding a place to buy it - will keep looking. Been thinking about getting a USB DAC myself, so that won't be a problem.

Heh, that last one does more stuff than the TX-SR507 under my TV. ;) Also a bit large for my tastes. The A-9555 looks nice, but having trouble finding a place to buy it - will keep looking. Been thinking about getting a USB DAC myself, so that won't be a problem.

If they there easy load, you could do t-amp, they are much smaller units, but if 4 Ohm is correct info - I think you are out of luck and need big and beefy amps.

I always suggest toslink (fiber, light) as the best way to connect a computer to an audio system. Your board has a toslink out so you are all set there. I would shop around for an Yamaha RX-V series AV receiver. Drives headphones and everything else. You can go back quite a few model years and get some pretty powerful ones since you are mostly driving stereo. Some of the models even allow you to fold the 6 and 7 channels in to the main channels power giving you double the power for the mains.

Just a different way to get there. These things are typically huge. The model numbers may vary slightly for your region.

I have an older RX-V7 series and it works fine. It also includes pre outs for running separate amplifiers which gives you more flexibility. Does it sound as nice as my high end stereo pre amp hooked to my high end CD Player, of course not, does it sound good enough for watching movies yeah!

I'm currently looking at:

Onkyo A-9377 w/ USB DAC
Yamaha RX V467

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the A-9377 - something inside me just thinks it's wrong to buy a big surround receiver with 3D and everything and then only use it for stereo.

Still taking recommendations for a stereo amp for these speakers though. :)

Nothing wrong with using a surround receiver for just stereo. Pretty much all stereo receivers and/or integrated amps will be lacking hdmi/bass management/auto eq and/or a number of other features. Of course, if you only have the stereo hooked up to one thing and don't ever plan on adding a sub or whatever then they'll work out just fine (and you can use subs with speaker level inputs/outputs and a built in crossover if you wanted to do that as well).

I have some old stereo speakers. I just took a crappy 2.1 speaker system that someone didn't want (because one of the satellites died). I removed the satellites from their wires and attached the stereo speakers to the woofer/amp.

I didn't look at the impedance. But, the result is a huge improvement in sound quality and volume over the original 2.1 speakers. I let the old crap .1 give a little bump to the low-end. The crappy amp doesn't do the speakers justice, but it still blows away sub-$100 2.1 PC speaker systems, and it didn't cost me a penny.

http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

Boom, 185 watts x2 @ 4 ohms and for only $300. Then just grab whatever you can to handle the inputs and all.

Don't skimp out and get some little 20 or 40 wpc amp with those awesome speakers.:p

I have some big old mitsubishi speakers that look alot like those with the louvers on the tweeters and some 15" drivers and I found a yamaha stereo amp at a local flea market for $10. Found out it is selling for $90+ and puts out about 100 wpc and drives those big boys nicely.

dont get a t amp for those speakers:
my suggested is one of the lower end marantz or NADs.
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_745C316BEE/NAD-C-316BEE.html?tp=34948

the emotiva is good but youll want a pre amp or at minimum some sort of volume attenuation done after the PC sound card level.

I don't much about this specific NAD, but looking at the specs on store - it's rate at 40W/8oh and not rated below that...

I'd like my +1 vote for Emotive UPA-2 rec - $299 is steal for this

dont get a t amp for those speakers:
my suggested is one of the lower end marantz or NADs.
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_745C316BEE/NAD-C-316BEE.html?tp=34948

the emotiva is good but youll want a pre amp or at minimum some sort of volume attenuation done after the PC sound card level.

Thats why I also said and then grab whatever you can to handle the inputs, meaning a basic receiver of some sort. Like I said, I grabbed a stereo yamaha amp/rec for $10 at a local flea market and that would be all he would really need for some inputs and volume control.

Yes the Emotiva is a very nice product, But out of curiousity why did you say no to the T Amp?

Along the same lines I'm running "200 watt" floorstanders off a 15w per channel Pioneer integrated from the '70s. At 2 of 10 on the volume dial its more than loud enough for my bedroom. :)

Indeed Most people don't understand that at 1 watt most speakers are capable of 80-90 Db and you only go up 3 Db every time you double the wattage.

dB / m / W

The sensitivity of the speaker is the deciding factor in how much power you might need from an amp.

Nothing, What meant is NAD is not rated to support 4ohm speaker (at least according to link you provided) and that a real issue here.

The odd thing is that both the Crutchfield site and the manual say its 4 ohm stable. Its almost like they designed it to output 40w whether the ohm load be 8, 6, or 4.

I have no idea, that's why I said odd, Why would they list an amp as 4 ohm stable but not give a wattage at 4 ohm? The manual says the clipping wattage for both 8 and 4 ohm is 45 watts.

Hmm, now you have me curious. Time to ask some elictrical engineers some questions.

Usually the output section could double it's power however the power supply can only provide 90 watts.

I run Adcom 555's with various preamps and they have pretty big power supplies but as they drop down to 4 ohms they don't quite double their continuous power. And they will run lower impedance but not produce any more power at least on a continual basis. Instantaneous is another discussion...

http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

Boom, 185 watts x2 @ 4 ohms and for only $300. Then just grab whatever you can to handle the inputs and all.

Don't skimp out and get some little 20 or 40 wpc amp with those awesome speakers.:p

I have some big old mitsubishi speakers that look alot like those with the louvers on the tweeters and some 15" drivers and I found a yamaha stereo amp at a local flea market for $10. Found out it is selling for $90+ and puts out about 100 wpc and drives those big boys nicely.

Ok. So that. Is sexy. Can I combine that with their XDA-1? I might actually splurge and buy them both if it's possible.

I've requested a quote for shipping, so we'll see.

As for that whole ohm/w discussion, yeah, I'm way too stupid to follow that. :p

Ok. So that. Is sexy. Can I combine that with their XDA-1? I might actually splurge and buy them both if it's possible.

They should work fine together. As far as I know you can intermix the UPA and XDA lines.

Emotiva is excellent quality gear that will ROCK you. Worth much more $$ than they ask for. The bang for the buck gear imo.

YES. the XDA-1 is great, run USB from your computer and skip your motherboard sound. and according to Emotiva you can use the volume attenuation on it and skip the pre amp, or run it at 100% volume and use a pre amp.

I know you didn't say it but you were probably thinking it so, you are very welcome!:cool:

I don't have any emotiva gear myself yet but have heard nothing but great things from everyone that has some, and I've been drooling over them for a long time, I can't wait to get some stuff from them.

I've been dreaming of an ERT 8.3 tower system powered by an XPA-2 setup for sooooo long.:(

I've been using a Behringer A500 to power some bookshelves for a while now and that has worked well. You can pick one up for under $200 US.

I know you didn't say it but you were probably thinking it so, you are very welcome!:cool:

Of course, thanks where due. :D

Unfortunately, factoring in shipping and tax and what not, the UPA-2 and XDA-1 combo would end up at a cool $1100, which is about three times my original budget.

Just the UPA-2 would end up at about $650 which isn't too bad, but then I'll need something else to "handle the inputs" - recommendations?

Either way, I'm gonna have to mull this over for a couple days.

So all saddened by this I went into my local HiFi B&M store and talked to a guy there. He told me that NAD will soon be selling a USB DAC module that plugs directly into their C356BEE amp, which would mean I'd need just the one unit - sounds pretty good right? But it's only 2x80W and that solution would probably be around $950 and then does the last $150 up to the Emotivo solution matter considering I get more than twice the power? I'm thinking not, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I doubt that really need XDA-1 dac, there good dac at half the price.

I think if importing&shipping will cost too much for you - you should concentrate on local brands
There are plenty of good audio equipment made in UK for example: Quad, Cambridge audio, Mission, Wharfafale etc...

Back