Need advise on improving my cooling system

mintos

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 5, 2006
Messages
83
I upgraded to an E6600 and 7950GT system from my x2 4400+ and 7800GTX.

Old temps under load:
CPU = ~38*C
GPU = ~44*C
and Idles around 33*C/38*C

New temps under load:
CPU = ~48*C
GPU = ~54*C
and idles around ~43/43

So, all in all there's been a ~10*C jump in temperature. What should I do to get the temperatures down again?

My current cooling system is a Zalman Reserator 1, pumping into a Dangerden extreme I radiator (which has a push/pull 120mm fans setup). The water then travels from the radiator to my GPU followed by CPU, then back to the Reserator. I think the intergrated pump does 300l/h (pretty low ><). So, for a quick fix, does anyone think that if I switch the order of the flow things will go down a bit? Meaning that if I pump the water directly to my GPU and CPU first, then have it go into the radiator and back to the Reserator, the higher difference in temp of the water going into the radiator might cool it down faster/more?

I have the dangerden pro III radiator coming in. Where should I put that in the loop? Should I put it at the outflow of my pump, or the inflow? Also, will a better pump help things significantly? And can I run two pumps in my loop simultaniously?

Thanks
 
i would go pump-rad-rad-cpu-gpu-pump


that is the order that i have heard is the best and what I run
 
hmm... so you could run two pumps in a system without issues? I guess I'll be willing to spend a bit more for another pump then.
 
Best move would be to replace that reserator all together :p But if not there are some things you can try.

To be honest loop order doesn’t really matter. Eventually the water temperature throughout the loop will hit an equilibrium point, how quickly the system can dissipate heat determines that point. If anything the temperature change would be so small it’s not even worth it.

What would help a lot more is a better pump. If you add another rad you would be only increasing restriction even more and that pump is already working overtime. You may see little to no change in yours temps using a second rad in the same loop... The bip3 would be all that’s needed in that loop. Go with a laing d5 or ddc ultra... The increased flow and head should help things out.

I would only run two pumps in series if you’re using a very restrictive block like the swiftech storm. Impingement designs really need the pressure to excel.
 
You definitely need a new pump. Try for a DDC Ultra (MCP 355). That poor little thing in the reserator can't handle any more items in your loop. Your temps might actually get worse when you put that rad in.

Get a new pump, and take the reserator out of your loop. It was fine while it lasted for an intro to watercooling, but now that you've got a real radiator, you have no need for it anymore. Actually, you are probably beter off taking the single 120mm radiator out of your loop too. Also if you ever chip the anodized coating (even a little scratch) on any internal surfaces of the reserator, you might find a nightmare inside your loop.* Aluminum free loop FTW. ...Are you using the Zalman block as well?

To answer your question about loop order, don't bother. About the only thing you can do to the current loop that would help it without any drastic change would be to take the flow indicator out (if you're using it). The difference wouldn't be big at all - it might not even be noticeable.

* Additives just slow the inevitable. Sometimes they slow it by a lot (orders of magnitude), but the corrosion will happen no matter what you've got in there - unless it's completely nonconductive.
 
Wow, thanks for all the advise. I'm pretty much keeping the reserator as a watertank, not too worried about the corrosion. It's definetly true that I could use a new pump. I ordered a MCP 350(Only thing I could find on newegg). But for now, I have a new rad in the loop. It did drop my cpu temp down ~5*C at idle to 37~8 and ~4*C at full load. I have 3 120mm fans running silently accross the rad.

hehe... but I couldn't leave well enough along. I up'ed the cpu voltage to 1.45 from 1.3 and OC'ed the E6600 to 3.6ghz. Now it idles around ~44-5 and the gpu ~40*C. GPU is less affected because it's first in the loop, but it was down to 38 with the new rad. Hopely, when the new pump comes it, everything will go down again. Oh yeah... I forgot in my orginal post to put what frequency I was running my setup in.

Currently setup as follow
CPU: 3.6ghz/1.45volts
GPU: 525ghz/800mhz(x2)
MEM: 400mhz/1.9volts
 
I have a RESERATOR 1 Plus and it works as advertised. Not for over clocking. Keep my FX60 at 35°C at idle and my two X1900s at 45°C at idle. If I over clock the CPU it will go to 50°C and the GPUs can max at 90°C if it’s a hot day and I’m running certain games all day. Some games really push the GPUs hard. Anyway…

Would there be any advantage to having two RESERATORs in series or would it be better to have one on the CPU and another on the GPUs? I was thinking this way I could over clock and still have a fan-less system.
 
I would say a big radiator + additional pump would be better. The RESERATOR is all 3 in one, but you don't really need another watertank. One RESERATOR holds plenty of water, so one or more radiators in series + powerful pump would lower your temps more.
 
Back
Top