Need advise on backup strategy

John2000

Weaksauce
Hi,

I'm going to setup a backup solution for home usage and I'm looking for some advise.

This is the setup I have in mind currently:

1. Desktop PC:
* Only has an SSD, that is backed up to HDD-A on Server PC weekly over Gigabit LAN, using Windows Backup.

2. Server PC:
* Has SSD for OS, and 2x6 TB HDDs (HDD-A and HDD-B).
* SSD backed up weekly to HDD-A, using Windows Backup.
* HDD-A is backed up to HDD-B weekly, using rsync or similar file based backup solution.

3. External HDD:
* 6 TB HDD.
* HDD-B on Server PC is backed up to the External HDD every 3-6 months, using rsync or similar file based backup solution.
* External HDD is only attached to Server PC (or Gigabit LAN) during backup.

Some potential issues:

-There is a small chance of electrical failure when the External HDD is attached to the Server PC, which could render all HDDs (HDD-A, HDD-B, and External HDD) unusable. To avoid that I'd have to get a second External HDD, and rotate between those two when doing backups. But I'm not sure if it's worth that, since the risk is likely not that high?

-I'm not sure if I'm prepared deal with the hassle of storing the External HDD off site, even though that of course is the best. Is there any alternative, like storing it in some fire & burglary proof container "in house"?

Any other issues you can find, or does this this setup look ok to you? Anything you think I should change?

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!

I think it sounds fine, and you've already answered your own questions.

If you're concerned about electrical problems, perhaps put the server on a UPS?

Is keeping the external offsite really a hassle? You only need to retrieve it every 6 months. Perhaps leave at a friend or family member's house?
Failing that, a fire-proof safe.

Oh, and bonus points for using 6TB drives already xD

Hi,
-There is a small chance of electrical failure when the External HDD is attached to the Server PC, which could render all HDDs (HDD-A, HDD-B, and External HDD) unusable. To avoid that I'd have to get a second External HDD, and rotate between those two when doing backups. But I'm not sure if it's worth that, since the risk is likely not that high?

Not just electrical failures but software/hardware problems and human error. I recommend you buy a second external hdd if losing the data is more than an inconvenience, e.g., if the data includes private photos, work related data or other things that cannot be replaced.

Thanks for the feedback!

It's borderline too much for me to have 4x the usable storage space for backup (i.e. having 4 HDDs in total, but only 1 HDD worth of actual data). Maybe another solution would be to rotate between HDD-B and External HDD every 3-6 months? I.e. pull out HDD-B and replace it with the External HDD. Then I will not risk any electrical failure destroying all 3 drives at once, because there will always be one drive not attached. What do you think about that solution?

PS. Regarding the use of 6 TB HDDs, I have actually waited for those to arrive as consumer models since 4 TB was borderline too small for me. Things get so much easier if you can get by without having to use RAID or similar to join several disks to get sufficient storage space. :)

Back