• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need advice: will CPU upgrade net fps gains?

Joined
May 25, 2012
Messages
2
Hi All

Looking for advice on how to improve my PC and wondering if upgrading the CPU from an i7 4820k (4C/8T @ 4.4ghz OC) to xeon e5 1650v2 (6C/12T @ 3.6ghz stock, but can OC) will net me increased performance in two specific games. Naturally started playing games again after a few years hiatus due to being home now and my previously mothballed desktop seems to be struggling compared to 3 years ago when I last upgraded my GPU.

The games I've started playing are:
Rainbow 6 siege (1080p@240hz): currently playing at 1080p on all low settings and get 100-140fps, would like 160+fps minimum on all low settings [GPU utilization @ 70-80%]
Destiny 2 (4k@60hz): currently playing on low settings at 4k and get 40-60fps, would like 60fps+ minimum on all low settings [GPU utilization @ 80%]

PC Specs:
Motherboard: Asus X79 Deluxe
CPU: i7 4820k @ 4.4ghz
RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) 1866mhz
Storage: Samsung EVO 512gb sata ssd
PSU: EVGA 850W G3
GPU: Radeon RX Vega 64 @ Stock
Monitors: 1080p@240hz, 4k@60hz

Looking at the Xeon e5 1650v2 it seems they're readily available for around $70-80, but if it won't increase my GPU utilization rate or increase minimum fps then I'm thinking I might as well put that money towards an overhaul...thoughts? Appreciate any insight!

Thanks
 
Assuming you manage to OC the 1650v2 to the same clockspeed (or very close), I would guess you would get a minor performance increase at best. Generally speaking, your minimum framerates would likely go up by a little bit, but not sure it would be enough to justify even $70-80.

For Destiny 2, you're unlikely to experience any uplift here. Even running at low details, you're likely constrained by the GPU. According to Guru3D here, at any resolution 1440p and below all CPUs they tested performed the same and were constrained by the chosen GPU, which in their case was a 1080 Ti that performs at a higher level than your Vega 64. They tested with a 4790k, which is a hair newer than yours but generally in the same ballpark considering yours is overclocked, and at 4K and 1440p received the same performance as much faster CPUs like the 8700k and 1800x. Mind you they're performing this testing at High details (I think) so potentially you're going to get a little bit better performance running a lower specs, but 4K is simply a *ton* of pixels to push around. You might try lowering the internal rendering resolution a bit to see if it smooths out your framerate dips; if it does, then you're GPU limited, and if it doesn't then perhaps your CPU has more to do with it.

R6 is a more likely candidate for taking advantage of the newer CPU, given the higher target framerate. I would guess you would get some uplift here, though I cant find anyone to benchmark it. Again, I would lower the internal render scale and see if it affects your framerate; if lowering the render scale leaves your minimum framerates untouched, then you are CPU bound and might get some benefit, where if your minimum performance goes up with a lower render scale then you're taxing the GPU instead.

If it was me? I'd be saving my pennies for a new platform. Yours is getting to be on its last legs regardless and $70 is around 20% of the way to replacing your whole setup with a Ryzen 3600 + 16GB DDR4 + Motherboard, a setup which would 100% spank either the 1650v2 or the 4720k and be further upgradable to boot.
 
Really appreciate the input, seems like your thoughts were in line with what I've come across in researching the intel 4790k/4930k and comparing results to my current setup these last few days.

I tested Destiny 2 by lowering the rendering resolution and the fps dips went away which tells me I'm gpu limited in this game from what I understand in your assessment.

Did the same in r6 and the minimum fps did not change so this game is probably cpu limited.

I think the reality is if I want improved fps in both games I need a new cpu+gpu. Probably need to compromise now and hold onto the GPU while I lower the rendering resolution in Desinty 2 and go with a new cpu/mobo/ram option instead. Haven't used AMD since Athlon X2 3600 back in 2007 but the new price-performance ratio from AMD looks stellar. I've been reading about the ryzen 3600 and it seems like the a great suggestion, thanks again.
 
Back
Top