• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need advice upgrading our displays

1Wolf

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
439
I'm putting together a build list for 2 new gaming PC's for my wife and I. As I was planning what Video Cards and PSUs to get (670, 680, SLI setups, or maybe the overkill 690), I realized I was completely overlooking our displays. Our displays are over 5 years old now...and were expensive and a huge boon to our gaming experience back when we bought them....but I'm wondering if I shouldn't be looking to upgrade.

I'm still at the initial stages of my reading and research for this, but was hoping maybe some of you guys could steer me in the right direction or give me some good ideas to look into further.

As mentioned previously, my wife and I do alot of gaming so a monitors that are immersive, and excellent for gaming would do us well for any other uses we have for them. I've just started looking into this so I'm sure you guys would no alot better what goes into a good gaming monitor than I would.

I'd appreciate it greatly if you guys could take a look at what we have for monitors currently (listed below) and give me your opinions on whether or not you feel new displays would be worthwhile and improve our gaming experience greatly...or...whether we'd be best just sticking with what we have. I realize that this is subjective...depending on how much one is willing to spend, bang for buck, etc. I'm just curious of your opinions.

Thanks!

Display 1
Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24" 1920x1200

Display 2
Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22" 1680x1050
 
Last edited:
edit: I see the list now. :D

Personally, I'm going to buy one of the Korean monitors off of Ebay and just pop for the Squaretrade warranty. ~$350 shipped for a 2560 x 1440 IPS monitor, and $20 for a Monoprice stand (which I already have) is a reasonable price in my opinion.

Barring that, (if I had to spend money) I'd start looking into a 1920 x 1080 120hz monitor. There are a few models that have been well received.

After that I'd try and find a 23-24 inch 1200p monitor.

Considering that right now I have a monitor that I'm fine with, I likely wouldn't buy anything if I didn't buy a Korean monitor.

But, as you've said:

this is subjective...depending on how much one is willing to spend, bang for buck, etc. I'm just curious of your opinions.
 
Thanks BigJayDogg3.

I was following that long thread on that monitor and it sounds tempting. I'm still on the fence on that one and I have some concerns. If it were something that was for sale locally that I could easily return (Like at a Best Buy or Walmart or whatever) I'd feel alot better about it. I've also read some incidents of people saying it doesn't work out the best for gaming, and that some have gotten a little motion sick or seen some ghosting...how true those are...I'm not sure. I'd be bummed if I grabbed a couple of those Korean ones and they ended up having issues. Whatever the case though....based on past experience....if I were to take the gamble and pull the trigger...most likely I'd have some issue with it and end up having to get another monitor anyway.

I've got a feeling those 120Hz ones are probably out of my price range or overkill for me.

So maybe I'll just stick with my Dell 24" and pick up a second 1920x1080 24" panel for my wife.

Any recommendations?
 
Back
Top