• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need advice - Processor Buy

renegade8

n00b
Joined
Aug 4, 2006
Messages
46
I have been searching and reading about these three processors and need everyones recommendation. Dell is having a sale...I now I know dell, but I have dell credit and not cash on hand so I am a little screwed. Currently I have a e6300 and they are selling the q6600 for 199, the e8400 for 175 and the e8500 for 199. What would be the best route for a gamer on air cooling? I have abit ip35pro, xfx 8800gtx, 2gig ddr2 corsair dominator, 150gig raptor, vista 32 or 64 are both owned inside of an antec 900 with noctua fans. I build websites and use photoshop, but mostly this is the gaming pc. I do want to get into oc'ing so looking for the best deal. This processor will have to last for at least 1-2 year unless the job situation changes. :)

Thanks again for the help.
 
Hey, I've got an IP35 Vanilla and went from an E6850 to an E8500 last week. I game also and I'd recommend an E8500 if you can get it for $199.! I don't think the E8600 will justify the extra money right now. I think the E8500 will hold me until the end of 2009 when the NEW socket prices get attractive/affordable!
 
I'd go with the E8400 or E8500. Which one you get really depends on whether there's something else you might want to use your credit on, but if not, the extra $25 for the E8500 would be fairly worthwhile.
 
I'd vote E8500 for your purposes, too. The Q6600 would be nice, but you'd need to OC to see good performance VS the other chips.
 
The E8500 will be better for gaming, especially if you overclock.

Having said that, if you don't have cash in hand, then don't dig yourself deeper in debt by buying things on credit. A little friendly advice.
 
I just love having 4 cores, not to mention any core2 product over 3ghz will set you in place for the foreseen future.
 
I agree with Antimatter; it would be wise not to use the credit and fall into that trap. At the very least, if you're going to do it, sell your E6300 and put it immediately on the credit account.

That said, either the E8400 or E8500 are worthwhile and I don't see how you'd be locked into anything in the future. Any further upgrades would likely require a MB replacement anyway. What state are you in? It might be a crime not to overclock those badboys.
 
thanks for the replies. Let me ask you this, I have an abit ip35 pro current and an evga 680i collecting dust. I thought about another processor to get the second machine up and running on the 680i, but with nehalem close, would it be better to wait and sell the 680i now? I would have to get vid, ram, heatsink, cpu, dvd and monitor to get the second machine running. It seems better to wait for nehalem and buy the better stuff for my main rig and use this current items for the second. Opinions please. Thanks. Just trying to get some cash to stretch while getting me something to last awhile since I am buying a new home and won't have money for upgrades once the house comes for awhile :)
 
The answer is simple. If you overclock and can wait a few weeks (end of August) get a E8400/E8500 E0 stepping (new revision). If you don't overclock, get a E8500/E8400 right now :D
 
Just use your current machine, sell the 680i (trust me, you don't want to go down that path...) and wait for Nehalem. Your current setup is still plenty fast. OC a bit if you haven't already, your cooling should be sufficient for 3+Ghz without issue.
 
It's kind of pointless to build a new system if all you have is the board. I'd just sell it.
 
Just about any cpu purchase this close to the i7 series is a tough choice. I would definitely part company from the 680i board if you can get anything for it that makes selling it worth the hassle. I have 4 collecting dust I need to get rid of myself. That said get the whichever cpu will cost you the least. They will all be alot better that the E6300 you currently own & your abit board will do fine with any of what you listed.
 
Back
Top