Need Advice on whether to upgrade

MiamiBigAL

n00b
Joined
Mar 25, 2005
Messages
15
My current system specs:

AMD Athlon 3200 (Socket A)
512mb x 2 CORSAIR ValueRAM
ATI 9800 Pro

I am considering upgrading to an x850xt or 7800GS, but I am not sure whether it is worth it. The site where I am looking to buy them from is here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3NlYXJjaA==&cat_uid=48&stid=2

I currently play only CS:Source, and the only thing I really care about is frame rates, not eye candy. Even with all settings on low, and multiple graphics-performance tweaks, my frames drop considerably with more than 10 people in a server and the FPS is very jumpy all round.

As I understand it, my game is probably much more CPU-limited than anything to do with my graphics card, but I was wondering if a new graphics card would help smooth things out for the same system specs? I would love to upgrade my CPU instead, but my mobo only supports up to AMD 3200 and I do not feel like dishing out for a new board, etc. So, is it overkill to upgrade to a newer graphics card like the ones above, or will there not be much of a difference in performance due to my cpu-limitation? I would really appreciate any feedback at all!
 
My current system specs:

AMD Athlon 3200 (Socket A)
512mb x 2 CORSAIR ValueRAM
ATI 9800 Pro

I am considering upgrading to an x850xt or 7800GS, but I am not sure whether it is worth it. The site where I am looking to buy them from is here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...t_uid=48&stid=2

I currently play only CS:Source, and the only thing I really care about is frame rates, not eye candy. Even with all settings on low, and multiple graphics-performance tweaks, my frames drop considerably with more than 10 people in a server and the FPS is very jumpy all round.

As I understand it, my game is probably much more CPU-limited than anything to do with my graphics card, but I was wondering if a new graphics card would help smooth things out for the same system specs? I would love to upgrade my CPU instead, but my mobo only supports up to AMD 3200 and I do not feel like dishing out for a new board, etc. So, is it overkill to upgrade to a newer graphics card like the ones above, or will there not be much of a difference in performance due to my cpu-limitation? I would really appreciate any feedback at all!
 
Back
Top