• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need advice on Video Card

dfresh12

n00b
Joined
Mar 19, 2011
Messages
12
I have an i5 2500k, Asus P8P67 (REV. 3), 650W power supply, and 2x4 Gb Corsair Vengance 1600 for the RAM.

I am going to be getting the card from bestbuy later today since i still have $200 in gift cards there that I never use so I need some advice as what to get.

Also what is the difference between the Radeon 5770 and the 6770?

Thanks in advance.
 
I have an i5 2500k, Asus P8P67 (REV. 3), 650W power supply, and 2x4 Gb Corsair Vengance 1600 for the RAM.

I am going to be getting the card from bestbuy later today since i still have $200 in gift cards there that I never use so I need some advice as what to get.

Also what is the difference between the Radeon 5770 and the 6770?

Thanks in advance.

There is really no difference, it's simply a rebrand of the same exact card from what I've seen, btw is $200 your max, or will you add money out of pocket to buy the card? Also what are you going to use it for and what resolution will you game at?
 
I will use up to 100 extra out of pocket.

And i will be using for gaming and some logic pro and final cut.

The video card is the only thing I haven't put much research into yet
 
Since you have the gift card ask to speak to a manager and request a price match to the card you are choosing if you find it cheaper at amazon.com. They don't always do it but you can ask. Since you have the gift card I know you can't afford the card somewhere else but asking for a price match is what you should do before you tell them you have a gift card. ;)
 

true, but if he has the gift cards he might as well use them. i did find the gtx 560 is the same $250 price as newegg (though that doesn't include m-i-r).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+...Card/2389164.p?id=1218324435840&skuId=2389164

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604&cm_re=gtx_560-_-14-130-604-_-Product

so op, i would get that if you plan on getting the card from bestbuy and can add up to an extra $100 (the better comparable card would be the 6950, but it's not available there).

otherwise, if you don't want to spend more than the $200 gift cards, you can choose between the gtx 460 1gb or the 6850 @ $190 - which both perform very similarly, so your preference)

gtx 460 1gb:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+...Card/1700638.p?id=1218282102998&skuId=1700638

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...Card/1592199.p?id=1218270598078&skuId=1592199

6850:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...Card/1950084.p?id=1218301984545&skuId=1950084

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...Card/2193214.p?id=1218313321197&skuId=2193214

(2nd link is version 2 of the 1st link - dunno if there is any difference btw the two)

yeah, what resolution you playing at as well? and like lord exodia said, ask for a price match (though i just checked and the only one i saw a good price diff btw was the asus hd 6850 - $170 amazon vs $190, of course b4 tax @ bb)

fyi, performance difference btw gtx 560 and gtx 460 1gb/ 6850 is about 30-40% avg; also, you wouldn't purchase the card in store but you would have to order online through the website in which the card would be delivered to your house.

btw, 5770/6770 are extremely poor buys since they cost the same as the gtx 460 1gb/ 6850 at bestbuy and perform about 30% slower on avg than the latter cards.
 
Last edited:
Have you considered selling those Best Buy gift cards?

Their prices are too high. Even if you get 90~95 cents on the dollar, you can still save money buying somewhere else.
 
NM just compared prices. Bestbuy is SOOO overpriced! Everything is like $20-30 more than other etailers.
 
That's really not that bad sadly. I remember seeing fx5200's there for years for like $80. My local AAFES has 5770's for $150 or so, and best buy is similar in that they never seems to drop the price of some cards, no matter how old they are.
 
Ok, since you are getting a kick ass CPU, you might want to consider this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4251/origins-genesis-flagship-bling/2

This might go against what everyone seems to think, but lately, after seeing some odd results: My take on it...nvidia GPUs will soon become known as cpu limited, (I think a better way of looking at it is they can be CPU assisted :) ) so, if you take the CPU limit out of the equation the ATi cards can't keep up.

Best bang for buck if you are building new, buy the fastest.most overclockable CPU and the CPU will push the lower cost nvidia cards performance up past more expensive ATi card levels.
 
Ok, since you are getting a kick ass CPU, you might want to consider this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4251/origins-genesis-flagship-bling/2

This might go against what everyone seems to think, but lately, after seeing some odd results: My take on it...nvidia GPUs will soon become known as cpu limited, (I think a better way of looking at it is they can be CPU assisted :) ) so, if you take the CPU limit out of the equation the ATi cards can't keep up.

Best bang for buck if you are building new, buy the fastest.most overclockable CPU and the CPU will push the lower cost nvidia cards performance up past more expensive ATi card levels.

Buying a 560 Ti with room for SLI might not be a bad idea. They've been looking pretty strong lately.
 
Back
Top