• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need advice on upgrade

PNut12345

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
5,848
Hey, I need some advice on a possible upgrade to my system, specifically the CPU and mobo. A friend of mine might buy my Athlon XP 2600+ and MSI mobo (from a Compaq), my SB Audigy LS, old 250 W PSU and 512 mb of PC2100 RAM. This sale should put let me buy a new CPU/mobo and a 512 mb PC2700 stick for my upgrade. I'm looking at an EPOX Socket 754 (NF 3 250) mobo and a Socket 754 A64 2800+ (total price w/ shipping $175). If I go with the 2800+ I'll have just enough from the sale to get the RAM, too.

But, will I see a big performance increase going from the XP 2600+ to the A64 2800+ ? Or should I go with a A64 3000+ and just get the RAM at a later date? (If I sell the PC2100 RAM, I'll still have 512 of PC 2700 in my box).

Any good advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 
Not that I have a whole lot of experience, but I'd try and go with a socket 939 A64 as it looks like those will have more upgrade potential ... save you having to buy a new mobo next time.

 
I thought of that, but this'll probably be the last upgrade to this comp. Gonna build a brand new one next year, and keep this one for office-type stuff. I just really have to keep my costs down in order to keep the wife somewhat happy (she hates when I screw with the computer...could have something to do with the time I reinstalled XP and backed up everything except Outlook Express...lots of her business addresses and info down the drain. I still hear about that one!)
 
Back
Top