Need Advice on Storage Even Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisyak

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys

Doing my first build in a long time for my Business ,heavy chrome tab user like 200 tabs , photo editor, some video editing and heavy multi tasking. My Entertainment uses will be mostly 4k Movies streaming on my network and odd old school game rarely.

My problem is not enough room for storage. I have 2 M.2 spots on the motherboard , 3 SATA III SSD's and 4 SATA I Storage Drives. Motherboard has 2 M.2. Spots and 6 SATA ports. I would like storage controller that will allow me some flexibility as I replace some drives or add more but not hurt the speed of these drives would live to hear your suggestions. Don't want to go the NAS route.

• 1 additional SATA 3 Gb/s compatible port is needed.
  • 4 additional SATA 6 Gb/s compatible ports are needed.
  • The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.
  • The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.
  • The motherboard M.2 slot #3 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y8RNZR

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Predator 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus - BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

You should have gone HEDT for that amount of HDD's, not like you need the CPU speed since you don't intend to game a lot on the system.

An Asrock x299 taichi would supply 10 sata ports and 3 M.2 slot's which don't disable SATA ports if you use NVMe drives in them.

You can buy some PCIe cards to add extra SATA ports but I have no idea which ones are worth buying.

If you aren't opposed to fleabay, get an LSI 9211-8i PCIe controller, most listings I just saw are ~$40-50 for used, <$100 for "new" (probably new old stock) and almost all are already flashed to IT mode (no raid, just HBA). SAS>4xSATA breakout cables are often found for $10 or less. You can probably get away with dropping it in the bottom 4x slot (the card is 8x) so that you don't kill the bandwidth of the 1080, but I don't know if that slot is tied to the M.2 lanes (you'd be fine putting it in the second 8x slot anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back