Need advice on GPU

Snooble

Gawd
Howdy all,

Been running my GTX 280 for a while, and now that it's Xmas I'm allowed to get an upgrade.

My system is :

Core i5 750
4gigs DDR3 PC 01700
Gigabyte P55-UD3r
24" monitor / 20" monitor

I play all my games at 1920x1080, with the 2nd monitor just for internet surfing, watching a movie while I grind on an MMO, stuff like that.

Basically I want to keep it around the $200 mark as close as possible. I live in Canada and am getting the card through a place called the Canex (for military members) and as far as I know they only have NVidia...they may has started carrying AMD but I can't be sure.

I also have an i5-750 @ 3.8GHz and basically a 24" monitor @ 1920x1080 and 120Hz resolution.
I was able to purchase an ATI HD5870 for $150 @ GearXS.com recently and would recommend it.

I am able to play Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3 maxed settings with vertical sync on @ ~77 FPS average.

Of course you need to make sure your PSU can support it too.
Also, please note it is a very long card and required me to remove a hard drive in its path.

Other recommendations for about the same performance if not better and are the current generation of gpu's would be an HD6950 or a GTX 560 Ti.

I rolled with a GTX275 for a year or so I think before going to the GTX570. Based on what I see about it and your usage scenario description, Runt's suggestion is right on par. With something like a 6950 or a 560 Ti you'll also be able to "feel" that improvement and be pleased with it.

Also, I use a 24" and a 20" display together so your configuration is quite close to mine.

I might just get the 560ti and use my 280 GTX for a PhysX processer ;D

Although, I head that an ATi as the main card and a GeForce as the 2nd, with a bit of work, you can use it for PhysX also.

Yes, I heard the same thing but I never did it myself. You would have to do a little bit of research to figure it out.

I would stick to NVidia if you plan on keeping the old gpu for PhysX so its less hassle. Again, make sure if you plan to run both GPUs that your power supply can support it.

make sure if you plan to run both GPUs that your power supply can support it

Seriously pay attention to this: I think the GTX280 may actually draw more power than the GTX560 does. Although I doubt that PhysX calcs get anywhere near to putting the card under full load, it's still a serious power sucker.

I have a 750 watt PSU, can't remember the brand but when I got it at the time I recall it being an excellent rated PSU.

i wish it were easier to run the hybrid setup, Nvidia is kind of assholish for timebombing systems with amd/nvidia setups

Back