Need advice on gaming headsets

MassConfusion

Limp Gawd
I'm just about to start building a computer of mine and am planning on gaming with friends of mine. I need a decent headset with high-quality sound output and a decent mike. Any suggestions on helping out a noob?

Skip the headset (if you mean multichannel headset) and just get a good pair of stereo headphones and a sound card that does Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D. The Xonar DG sound card and ATH AD700 headphones are a good pair for gaming. Add a Zalman clip-on mic and you are all set.

I'm just about to start building a computer of mine and am planning on gaming with friends of mine. I need a decent headset with high-quality sound output and a decent mike. Any suggestions on helping out a noob?

I'm partial to the Logitech G35. Good gaming sound, integrated software, good music sound when I'm using it for that. I don't bother with clip-on mics as the fauxdiophiles do. I don't know about your budget but IMO this is one of the better buys you can make for the level of money, especially if you can find deals on it.

I wouldn't bother with a G35...
A good quality pair of cans like the AD700 is the way to go.

I would go with Astro a40's with mixamp for full sorround sound if needed :) excellent mic, and speaker. also can hook up to ps3 and xbox 360.

I wouldn't bother with a G35...
A good quality pair of cans like the AD700 is the way to go.

I think the problem is that too many nerdophiles assume its crap just because it doesn't come from a Head-Fi approved maker, their headset experience often being limited to some cheap throwaway set. A lot of Head-Fi peer types also have zero concept of usability.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1636318

I have a 100% concept of usability. You get better results with the listed headphones vs a headset. The only advantage a headset has is an attached mic.

The AD700 is overrated and old at this point. Still ok but I would not pay more than $50 for a pair.

HeadFi has it's opinions. Some right, some wrong. Just like everything. I have experience and I give a crap about how people spend their money. Headsets are ok but overpriced for what they deliver.

Last edited:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1636318

I have a 100% concept of usability. You get better results with the listed headphones vs a headset. The only advantage a headset has is an attached mic.

The AD700 is overrated and old at this point. Still ok but I would not pay more than $50 for a pair.

HeadFi has it's opinions. Some right, some wrong. Just like everything. I have experience and I give a crap about how people spend their money. Headsets are ok but overpriced for what they deliver.

So what, you espouse that a Zalman ZM-Crap1 slung headphone with a DIY Dolby loadout is more usable than a gaming headset in gaming scenarios? Get real.

The problem is that most of the headphones the nerdophiles come out with saying 'so much better than headsets' - the A/D700 as a very good example - aren't even in a direct shootout. Only at the >DT770 level, or conversely at the <$50 level does it start to make some sense.

In my limited experience, the Corsair HS1's I just picked up on the cheap are great. By no means the top-of-the-line gaming headset, but sharp sound, clear mic and very responsive highs and lows. And the price was right; from buy.com.

So what, you espouse that a Zalman ZM-Crap1 slung headphone with a DIY Dolby loadout is more usable than a gaming headset in gaming scenarios? Get real.

The problem is that most of the headphones the nerdophiles come out with saying 'so much better than headsets' - the A/D700 as a very good example - aren't even in a direct shootout. Only at the >DT770 level, or conversely at the <$50 level does it start to make some sense.

Come on over to my house with your headset then. Please be a bit more offensive and inflammatory too. That always helps.

I also do not rec the ad700 anymore btw. Nor the zalman. So yeah, reading comprehension. What is your issue? You should know that headsets do not have as good directional sound as a stereo headphones with a big sound stage. The 770 sucks btw. All that bass kills the midrange and directional sound. The Beyer 880 is much better for gaming and everything else.

However, there are several new headphones that do gaming and music great for much less than a comparable headset. The only headset that could compete with say the $40 Samson SR850 would be the Senn PC350 or Beyer MX330. Each of those are 3X or more the price of the Samson.

Bottom line is that I don't care what looks better. I just want what works best for the least amount of money.

Last edited:
The G35 is also quite uncomfertable. It starts to feel really heavy/annoying after an hour or so.

Don't waste time on "gaming headsets", they are mostly garbage for the price you pay.

Back