Need Advice on Completing this FreeNas Setup

Certain

Limp Gawd
I'm just looking for a little guidance so that I can pull this FreeNas box off without a hitch. I did a search and there just seems to be so much info scattered all over the place and I think some of it is a bit more advanced than I want to get into at the moment, so I thought I'd just get a few questions answered.

To start off, I have a number of drives. Some old, some new. They were the reason I decided to go with the FreeNas box. Over the years I've collected these drives of varying sizes and I just finally wanted to consolidate them all into one physical location. I currently have 4 IDE drives and 3 SATA. My plan was to simply place all of these drives in one case, load FreeBSD onto a compact flash, add the drives and begin to share them over the network.

Am I good to go on that path? I ran across one post that wasn't in detail that said something about onboard gigabit lan not working in FreeNAS. Is that true? I was planning on using that. Should I buy another NIC? Will having that many drives using different different standards cause any issues. Like I say, I wasn't planning to do anything fancy to start out. Just a bunch of drives in a box being shared over the network. Let me apologize before hand if some of these questions have been answered already.

Back