Need advice on buying a tablet

Cally

Limp Gawd
My wife would like a tablet for Christmas and I don't know which one to get her. I have not been following the tablet market. What features or brands should I look at?

I'd either get the iPad Mini from T-Mobile or the Toshiba Encore (Windows 8.1 x86)

What will she be doing with it, is she (or are you) invested in a specific ecosystem to any extent? What size, etc.?

My wife would like a tablet for Christmas and I don't know which one to get her. I have not been following the tablet market. What features or brands should I look at?

define: "Tablet"
What do you want? Something like Android or iOS? Something x86 that runs full win 8.1?

There's good and affordable choices on both sides.

on the android side i'd recommend the 2nd gen Nexus 7
on the x86/window side there's the ASUS transformer tf100 for a 10" with a keyboard or something akin to the Dell Venus 8 Pro if you want a stylus.

What size? What ecosystem? Does she already have a smartphone of any type, and does she like it?

I'll try to answer the questions. I don't know what an ecosystem is when talking about electronics. The wife has a Samsung smart phone on the Verizon 4 G network. The reason she would like a tablet is when she travels packing the bulk of a laptop is too much. She wants something light to carry to get e mails, face book, type surfing. I probably haven't answered all the questions right.

Well, the Samsung phone is Android. Does she buy or use a lot of apps? Just based on what you've given us, I'd look at 7-8" Android tablets. Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD/HDX and Galaxy Tab are all good places to start a search.

Ecosystem describes what base system you will buy and what apps and accessories will fit.

Like Apple with iPad/iPhone/iTunes/AppStore
Like Android with Google equivalents
Like Windows 8 with similar setup

Problem: once you buy in one of those ecosystem you will loose your investments when changing.

You can compare that to camera systems like Canon vs. Nikon vs. you name it. You can't regularly change the lenses due to different mounts.

I'm sold to Canon and Apple ;-)

If she wants to replace a laptop she should look at windows 8 atom tablets and convertibles. They will be just as lights and compact as others but will run fill windows.

Otherwise get here an android tablet, getting one from Samsung may keep things consistent for here. From a value play the nexus tablets are great too.

Problem: once you buy in one of those ecosystem you will loose your investments when changing.

You can compare that to camera systems like Canon vs. Nikon vs. you name it. You can't regularly change the lenses due to different mounts.

I'm sold to Canon and Apple ;-)

Isn't it much worse since you could conceivably resell or swap/trade the lenses?

This is why I have huge reservations about the long term impact of current digital distribution models for software.

Well, the Samsung phone is Android. Does she buy or use a lot of apps? Just based on what you've given us, I'd look at 7-8" Android tablets. Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD/HDX and Galaxy Tab are all good places to start a search.

She uses 3or 4 apps at most. She has an older Kindle for reading books. I think I will start looking at them first then check the others. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Isn't it much worse since you could conceivably resell or swap/trade the lenses?

This is why I have huge reservations about the long term impact of current digital distribution models for software.

And even more for music or movies. I don't buy any movies online anymore. Due to all the restrictions etc. Music is a bit better but still a risky business. CD and DVD have for sure an advantage of easier reselling or gifting.

That's what goes with the convenience of an ecosystem.

I just picked up the 2nd gen Nexus 7, I'd highly recommend it if it fits your budget and needs. It's a great size, the screen is awesome, and the price is way better than comparable iOS devices with the same-ish specs.

I just picked up the 2nd gen Nexus 7, I'd highly recommend it if it fits your budget and needs. It's a great size, the screen is awesome, and the price is way better than comparable iOS devices with the same-ish specs.

I agree with above. For the price you can't go wrong with the Nexus 7. I think Staples has it on sale for $179 for the 16GB 2nd gen version. I got one and it pretty much does what my iPad does as well but at a lower price.

What you need to do is take her to a store and have her try the various devices.

Back