• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need advice on an upgrade.

Dave65

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
844
Hi guys,
I have a XFX 9800X2 and was considering upgrading it to either a 295GTX or ATI 5870 or 5970,all i do it gaming pretty much..
Rest of my rig is ASUS P5Q Deluxe Q6600 @ 3.2-4 gigs memory..
Will it be worth it to upgrade or will it be overkill for my system?
My display is 23 inch..

Thanks much:)
 
Not looking up any numbers here, but I remember when I got my GTX 280, it was supposedly "twice as fast" as the 9800X2. The GTX 295 is maybe 30% faster than a 280 on a large panel (1920x1200 or larger). The 5870 is closer in performance to the GTX 280/285, and the 5970 apparently is the fastest thing out there now.

Saying your display is 23" doesn't help much. Is it 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, or something else all together (CRT?).

I think the most common advice is to go with a 5870 for a single display at 1920x1200 or less right now. It is the best performance on that kind of resolution at a decent price. The GTX 295 and 5970 are both better suited to large displays (2560x1600), well over $500, and hard to find right now.
 
Well, a 5850 runs about $320, a 5870 runs about $420, and a 5970 runs about $650. A 5850 is going to be plenty for that setup (even if you upgrade to something like a q9650) and the extra $100 bucks for the 5870 isn't really worth it IMO.

Also, your mobo could handle a second 5850 in the future if needed (doubtful) and of course your PSU is up to the task also.
 
I can't say your upgrade path is a bad idea, but considering your board can do 8x/8x and a 45nm Quad no problem, I'd suggest holding off on the i7 upgrade route and go for a q9550 (OC to 3.6) and either a 5870 or 5850. That will be your best bang/buck upgrade for gaming only IMO. If you do other things like encoding/editing then the i7 may be a better choice.
 
I can't say your upgrade path is a bad idea, but considering your board can do 8x/8x and a 45nm Quad no problem, I'd suggest holding off on the i7 upgrade route and go for a q9550 (OC to 3.6) and either a 5870 or 5850. That will be your best bang/buck upgrade for gaming only IMO. If you do other things like encoding/editing then the i7 may be a better choice.
I would hold off on the i7 as well. The P5Q is a great board, unless you have money to burn, the i7 route really isn't necessary. I would think upgrading to a 5850 would probably give you the most bang for your buck (especially if you're an overclocker). What exactly is your current system not doing or at least falling short on and you would like to improve?
 
To late,I already ordered,my kid needs a better computer so the p 45 will be a good upgrade for him,I did go ahead and order the 5870 and a 23 inch 1920X1080 Acer monitor:)
 
Those are all great products for the money, you'll be happy :).
 
Back
Top